Thursday, June 30, 2011

"My America, Happy Birthday!"

Monday is July Fourth! I really like Independence Day, I like to put on some RED, WHITE and BLUE, and puff out my American chest. I like to take time to think how great it is to be an American; we are the most blessed nation on this "big blue planet". Our Statue of Liberty says "Bring Me Your Tired, Weak and Huddled Masses.."; what a wonderful invitation. America doesn't care about your station in life; she just wants you to have opportunity. We believe in individual rights, our Constitution is constructed to protect those rights; other documents in this world don't do such a good job at that. Those guys that sat around the table over two-hundred years ago were pretty smart, they never said anything about "rich people" or "kings" or a "ruling class"; they said "We the People...."; everybody!

George Washington said "Avoid entangling alliances..."; in other words, "mind you own business"; he was a pretty smart guy, we were certainly fortunate to have him as our first President; a little common sense goes a long way! We are now "stuck in the U.N."; so much for common sense; thanks FDR! Teddy Roosevelt said "Walk softly, and carry a BIG STICK!": brilliant, don't look for a fight; but don't back away. There is quite a bit to say about having a strong military; people think twice about a fight, if they think they will get hit back! Jack Kennedy stood "nose to nose" with the Soviets over the Cuban Missile Crisis, with tenacity, and they backed off; strength works! These are the things that make me proud to be an American!

This week-end some of us will take out our old uniforms, and sigh at the 34" waist, and put them back in our closets, wishing time hadn't been so cruel to our pants size, but that large waist-line is courtesy of living in the "land of plenty", the United States of America! Most of us will see parades, and go to cook-outs and festivals. We will shake hands with friends and listen to music from a local band; we will sit united in community parks, celebrating America's Birthday.

All of these things will probably culminate with a fire-works display; "bombs bursting in air.."; and it will be accompanied by a chorus of "OOOHS and AAAHS!" by everybody in the crowd. On the ride home some of us will have sleeping children in our back seats, exhausted from a day of food, fun and fire-works. We may look at our spouse and speak softly about what a good time we had, not too loud, we can't wake up the kids.

This is how I feel about my America; a place where we are free to live in a peaceful town or city, where our children will continue to have a heritage of individual rights under the Constitution. There are those who don't like my America; to them I say "Don't come here; find a better place, if you can." To all of the rest of us, I say "God Bless this wonderful country. There is no other like her!" Have a great "Happy Birthday America Celebration" this week-end; there is no place I'd rather be!

(This is my last blog until Tuesday; I'll be busy loving my country and my family for a few days. God Bless you, all enjoy the Fourth!)

No comments:

Post a Comment