Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Baseball, Hot Dogs, and the Flag!"

While I was gone last week, I got to do one of my favorite things; I went to see the Chicago White Sox! Few things make me as happy as a Sox game. The best part of this was the company; I was with my beautiful and amazing daughter, who I had infected with the Sox addiction early in her childhood.

She picked me up at the train station, I was already dressed in my favorite "Louis Aparacio" number 11 jersey and Sox hat; we drove directly to the ball park (I still call it Comiskey). We got great parking, right across the street from the park. Before we went in, we walked a few blocks to a local hot dog "joint"; a walk-up place with genuine "Chicago Hot Dogs"; yummy! We walked around the outside of the park where there is a monument to former White Sox greats. I had memories of my youth as I read some of the records of these heroes of my "salad days". Finally, we went into the ballpark. The seats were about the best I've ever had, lower box near the batters box; I was in "White Sox Heaven". We were surrounded by a sea of Sox hats, jerseys and shirts, everyone was in a jovial mood, and an instant comradeship was made with the crowd. The evening was perfect, about 72 degrees, with a slight breeze.

White Sox fans are what one might call a "blue collar" crowd who are very verbose about their team, and that other team on the north side. Jokes and jabs about the CUBS are quite prominent, and everybody laughs.

Then something happens to silence the entire park, not a sound is made, or a joke is whispered. A single figure walks out to home plate and stands looking at the crowd; and he begins to sing the "National Anthem". Thirty-thousand people stand, sing and salute the Flag of the United States of America. In that one moment, more than Sox fans, more than Chicagoans; we were all Americans, united in tribute and pride in our wonderful country and its Flag.

Today is "Flag Day". One day a year we designate to pride in the American Flag; there is no other like it anywhere in the world. It is the symbol of freedom throughout the world. It has flown over countless battlefields, picnics, parades and public buildings. It should always fly higher than any other flag; it has been a blessing to all of the rest of the world. We should never forget this! America and her flag need never apologize to any other nation or group. This flag marched through Paris to cheering crowds. This flag was proudly raised by Marines on Iwo Jima. This flag flew over the Marine base at the siege of Khe Sahn, and it was carried up Pork Chop Hill.

This flag has been the symbol of aid in food and medicine to people in dire need everywhere in the known world. Spend some time today thinking about our flag, and those who don't appreciate what it stands for: it's not a "Hammer and Sickle", or a "Swastika"; it's the "STARS AND STRIPES". BE PROUD, AMERICA, THIS FLAG WAVES FOR FREEDOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment