Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"Proud American?!"

Several months ago, I wrote about my great-uncle Salvatore. I talked about how proud he was to go and vote for the President. To men and women like my uncle, America was very special. He, and many like him, came to America on over-crowded steamships, surrounded by people who spoke languages he didn't understand, yet, all with the same intention; to find freedom and opportunity in a place where everybody had a chance. I never heard him refer to Italy as his country; it was always "the old country"; he was an American before anything else. Of course, we experienced Italian culture in our home, but none of us ever considered ourselves anything but Americans with a much better menu than anybody else! I remember the name Audie Murphy spoken about; our greatest hero from WWII. I watched countless "John Wayne" movies with relish. We liked being Americans; we were proud to be Americans, and when we saw the American Flag in a parade, it made us feel good about the place we called home! As I matured during the 60s, patriotism was an issue for some people. I heard some folks endorsing the communists in Viet Nam, while others were saying "America, Love It, or Leave It!" It seemed it was no longer "in vogue" to be a proud American.

Recently, two men have been charged with planning an attack on a military recruiting station in Seattle, Washington. One of the men is named Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, and he has a criminal record. Strangely, the people who know him are surprised by the alleged charges against him. His wife said "he was a proud American." I guess the definition of a proud American has changed and I missed it! We had our share of UN-American, unwashed bomb throwing cowards in the 60s; some of whom are now teaching our children and are friends of our President. This man is a different breed of "cowardly protester". He is covering himself with the cloak of doing his evil works as a duty from his god. Evidently, as we have heard in the past, we are the ones to blame for the murders on 9-11. He has spouted this nonsense and how we are murdering his compatriots in Afghanistan. He is a big advocate of "Jihad". Oh, by the way, he is an American citizen!

Since 9-11, I've thought more about Islam and it's doctrines, and I've found it to be a violent belief system, with no tolerance for any other's beliefs; plus, their remedy for unbelief is conversion or death! I don't see how this fits into being a "proud American"!

I believe any person who advocates "Jihad" in this country is a direct threat to this nation's security. Am I being intolerant; maybe, yet my country is in danger from people who advocate the VIOLENT OVERTHROW OF THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! Those convicted of these violent acts, or the constructing of plans for these violent acts, should be tried for treason if they are citizens, and espionage if they are from a foreign country. We don't need any more "proud Americans" like Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif!

No comments:

Post a Comment