Friday, June 3, 2011

"Catterpillar Jar!"

Have you ever made a decision that you regretted? When I was boy, about six years old, I walked around our neighborhood picking fuzzy caterpillars off of the buildings, and putting them in a jar. I put holes in the jar so the insects could breathe. As I examined the jar in the course of my travels, I noticed it had become coated with the fuzz from the caterpillars. Remember, I was six years old; my first instinct was to take the top off of the jar and blow out the fuzz. I was with my friend Tony that morning; we were buddies. After a few minutes from the "blowing incident" I noticed that my face felt funny, and I asked Tony what it looked like. Tony said it looked kind of swelled. We were close to Tony's house, so we stopped in to see his Mom. Tony's Mom took one look at me and said "Joey, go home and show your mother right now!" Well, I went home and when my Mom saw me, she was quite upset. She tossed me in the bath tub, scrubbing me vigorously, then, covering me with calamine lotion. When I finally got a look at my face, I was a little scared; it looked like a balloon of red welts. Mom proceeded to call Dr. Kaufman, our pediatrician; he said the caterpillars defend themselves with that fuzz, and I got a massive dose of their poison. Six year old boys aren't always very smart! Bad decisions can cause pain and embarrassment. Sometimes one bad decision leads to another.

In the last few days, we have seen the story of Congressman Anthony Weiner in the news. It is alleged that the Congressman sent a picture of his male private parts to a young girl. This, if true, is very disturbing, yet in our current atmosphere of tolerance, isn't too surprising. Sex scandals are rampant in politics and entertainment. John Edwards, "Arnold", Bill Clinton and scores of others in politics have been "caught with their pants down". What I find so disturbing about this, is the Congressman's own statement, "He can't say with certitude whether the penis in the picture is his or not." What this says to me is that the Congressman does have pictures of his penis, or has had pictures of his penis taken! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I can honestly say I don't know a single person who has ever had any pictures of his penis taken. I'm hoping never to know anyone who has pictures of his penis in his photo album at home! At what point in one's life does one consider taking pictures of their genitalia a good idea? Could this be considered a good conversation starter, or ice breaker at a party?

Mr. Weiner (no pun intended) has been a vocal member of Congress for some time now; yet, I somehow feel his words won't carry as much weight as they may have carried in the past. It looks to me like Congressman Weiner "BLEW IN THE JAR OF CATERPILLARS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment