Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"Slap On A Molding!"

Have you ever purchased a used car? During my life, I've purchased numerous used cars. In our early married life, Adrienne and I went to a dealer (who will be unnamed) to buy a used car. We were as close to broke as we could get, but our car was really worn out and not worth repairing. We only had $1,000 to spend, so we had to be very careful or we would end up with a vehicle worse than the one of which we were disposing. The salesman was typical; sport coat, quick smile and had "great deals" ready for us. I've worked on cars since I was sixteen, and learned from my Dad, who was in the auto industry for over fifty years. Adrienne was concerned we would not be able to get a car; and I urged her not to worry, we would find something acceptable. I told the salesman how much I was willing to spend, and "not a penny more"; and I meant it! He took us out to the back of the lot, and then proceeded to show us a Dodge Dart; this car was "tired", and I knew it. The salesman went into his pitch about how great this car was for the money. The statement I remember the most was "Just slap a molding on the side and it's ready to go!" I was adamant; there was no way I was going to buy that car. He then showed me a car they had just taken in, a Pontiac Ventura. I asked to hear it run; he got the keys and started it up, I looked under the hood for oil leaks and general engine cleanliness. He said I can give you this for $1,000. I stuck out my hand and said fine; he made the mistake of shaking it. He went to the office to get the paperwork started. After a few minutes, he came back with a story that his manager didn't want to sell it for the $1,000 agreed price. Adrienne was really worried. When he left, I told her we were getting this car for our price and not to worry. The salesman came back and did everything but handstands trying to "jack up the price". My answer was, "You accepted this deal in the lot and my wife saw you do it." I had him cold; after some verbal tap-dancing we drove out in our Pontiac Ventura, on our terms. We would not be bullied or coerced into doing something we didn't want to do!

It seems last week the White House was trying to coerce Israel into accepting President Obama's dictates about resuming talks about Israel drawing back to the 1967 borders. It was said that he gave Israel one month to reconsider its position that the resumption of the old borders was unacceptable. Sources say Prime Minister Netanyahu is not cooperating in Obama's efforts to force Israel into concessions of the Israeli borders: it was also said that Mr. Obama's dissatisfaction with Mr. Netanyahu would be conveyed to American Jewish leaders, supposedly giving Mr. Netanyahu "bad publicity" in the United States.

I guess Prime Minister Netanyahu isn't buying Mr. Obama's "used car" at Mr. Obama's price. I stand in Israel's corner on this issue; Mr. Obama has no business issuing conditions on any other nations' borders; especially when that nation is "under the gun" as much as Israel is. I guess Mr. Obama will have to do more than "Just slap on a molding and it's ready to go" to work with the Israeli people. ISRAEL: STAND YOUR GROUND, AND WAIT FOR YOUR TERMS!

No comments:

Post a Comment