Monday, June 27, 2011

"The Sunday Funnies!"

Since I was a very young boy, I always enjoyed the Sunday Comics in the newspaper. "Dick Tracy", "Little Orphan Annie", "Peanuts", "The Phantom" and "Steve Canyon" were just a few of my Sunday morning favorites. The Sunday paper was like a treasure; it was always four times bigger than the daily issue; filled with special features and magazines; and a sports section you could spend a week with; but on Sunday, the "funnies" were very special because they were expanded and they were in color! Way back when Fiorello La Guardia was the Mayor of New York, he would read the "funny papers" over the radio when we had paper rationing during WWII. Today I still read the comic section of the paper every day; right after the obits and sports. I'm sure during WWII the "funnies" had their share of jibes against Hitler and Hirohito; we were a nation united against tyranny back then. I don't remember much about Viet Nam in the funnies back in the sixties. Although there was much division over the war, the comic artists stayed away from Viet Nam's controversy.

Times have changed quite a bit since I was a young boy. The "Funny Papers" that were once a hideaway from reality, have become a political showplace, and unfortunately, it has been infected by the leftist philosophy of our current administration. I've seen former President Bush castigated in "colorful panels and bubbles of thought" on several occasions. The President's programs about "global warming" and "service" were prominent in many "strips" as soon as the White House announced them.

Every Sunday, I read a strip called "Candorville". The author of this strip is a young man named Darrin Bell. Mr. Bell was born on January 27, 1975. Mr. Bell has an interesting heritage; he is Black and Jewish. My wife was born in a Jewish home and the food is great and the love for family is abundant. Mr. Bell has a bachelor's degree from BERKELEY; in POLITICAL SCIENCE!

The above information should tell you give you some idea of Mr. Bell's political persuasion. Over the course of reading "Candorville", I've seen numerous endorsements of our current Chief Executive; which I thoroughly expected to see.
Now comes the interesting part: two weeks ago as I was reading my "Sunday Funnies", I came to "Candorville" and I was surprised to see Mr. Obama criticized by Mr. Bell over the President's new fondness for the patriot act. The really funny part was Mr. Bell's use of Obama's quotes from 2005 in opposition to his current position in 2011. In the panel, he said to his interviewer that "in 2005 he was naive, and now he was a power mad tyrant"; I laughed out loud! For Mr. Obama, this shouldn't be quite so funny; his base is finding out about his biggest fault; he will say anything to gain public confidence, yet he has no real substance! Mr. President, when a left-leaning comic strip is seeing your politically expedient speech, you are in real trouble. What do you think those who read the rest of the paper are thinking? If people continue to see how many times you have contradicted yourself, then your end may soon follow. I don't think the "Funnies" are quite as funny as they used to be at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!

No comments:

Post a Comment