Friday, June 24, 2011

"The New GOOD OLD DAYS!"

Since I was little, I've heard the term "the good old days"; when I was a small boy, I wasn't sure what that meant. As I have reached a "certain age", I now have a greater understanding of this phrase. As I grew up in the early 50s, I don't remember much talk about what was wrong with America; not saying there were no problems at that time, just that it seemed more things were right than wrong back then. Before you say civil rights, I'll admit that issue wasn't being addressed by virtually anyone in authority. The 60s were the era of civil rights awareness, thank God! The 1950s was a time when America was the "Big Brother" and "Protector" of the world; and we fully embraced that role. My Dad, along with thousands of other returning veterans, went into a job market that brought us into a time of prosperity and affluence. We had "Ike", the great general of WWII as our leader. "Ike" was a conservative Republican; he let the economy work with little interference, and government "lived within its means". We had two recessions, which worked themselves out in the market place; capitalism works when you allow it too. We took no insult from any other nation, and we were appreciated for our integrity. Families lived on a budget, and they saved up for what they wanted to buy; a really good idea.

Let's fast forward to 2011 and see where America is today. Criticism for America is rampant; oddly, it comes mostly from many Americans. It seems we are war mongers, racists, greed filled and intolerant people according to the American left. I don't remember anybody, prior to 9-11, saying let's go conquer somebody and cost America young lives; maybe I missed that. I don't really believe we can be a racist nation; after all, didn't America elect Barack Obama the President; if we were racists he would never have occupied the Oval Office. Our Constitution forbids us from being intolerant; we are a nation of "legal" immigrants, and are very proud of this. Greedy, well greed is not what I see; I see those who pursue goals have been given the ability to achieve those goals. If you are lazy, you won't succeed, I guarantee that!

Currently we have unemployment at a high stagnant state, and we have a budget that is exploding at the seams. We have a bloated federal octopus that is reaching into the private sector and stifling economic growth. We have government entitlements that are unsustainable in their present form; and a Chief Executive who refuses to budge on his personal agenda. Our current President is distancing himself from budget talks, allowing the Vice-President to do his talking. I guess Mr. Obama is too busy thinking about his re-election possibilities in 2012 to engage members of Congress about our budget woes. Can anybody reading this think that these will ever be known as "the good old days" by anyone?

Personally, I am looking forward to 2012. I am waiting for America to take a look back; back at "Ike" and "Dutch", and common sense in government; looking back at self-control and responsibility in their own lives. I am looking for a return to our Constitution, as it is written; not as it may be interpreted by an activist judge. Perhaps, 40 years from 2012, people will look back and say, "those were the GOOD OLD DAYS"!

No comments:

Post a Comment