Wednesday, May 9, 2012

"Christian Nation!"


If you go to Chicago, you will find Cubs fans, White Sox fans, Bulls fans and Bears fans. If you go to New York City, you will find Yankee fans, Mets fans, Knicks fans, Jets fans and Giants fans. If you go to Detroit you will find Tigers fans, Piston fans and Lions fans. I could go on through every city that has professional athletic teams and the answers would all mirror the statements I made above; it doesn’t take a genius to figure that stuff out. I’m sure there are organizations that compile statistics on professional athletic fans and their cities; sports fans love stats! We like all of our statistics to be accurate; taverns have many heated discussions over sports statistics and some places keep stat books behind the bar just for such incidents.

I like accurate statistics; it helps in the reliability of an argument when trying to make a point. One of the institutions that takes surveys and gives statistics is the PEW Research Center located in Washington D.C., a well respected organization which was established in 2004. The PEW Center is well known for its impartiality on the subjects it studies and surveys.

Does anyone remember when our President, Barack Obama, said America is not a Christian nation? This is an easy statement to find with very little research; Obama definitely said this! Now I know how smart Mr. Obama is supposed to be, even though we can’t find out his college grades, so I thought he must have some basis, in fact, when he made the remark about America not being predominantly Christian. I remember him saying to a group of Muslims that America is one of the world’s largest Muslim nations, and I’ll admit I was taken aback when I heard that.

A few days ago, I saw a survey done by the PEW Research Center about the religious groups in the United States. It came from U.S.A. Today and it had a nifty little application that allowed the user to find out the demographic breakdown of religious beliefs in each of our fifty states, and also a complete picture of the United States in total. I am not going to break down the stats of every state in this blog; it would take too long, but that being said, I would like all of my readers to know that the United States of America has a Christian population that is 79.5% of all Americans!  I’m not talking about “cults” like Jim Jones or the “Heaven’s Gate” people. These are all main stream Christian belief systems. Here is the next fact that was revealed: only 1% of the population of the United States consists of Muslims!! Our Jewish population is 2%, Hindus are .5% and Buddhists are 1%. There are about 17% who don’t know or don’t care!

The number of 79.5% is an overwhelming majority, 1% is a very small minority, so where did Barack Obama come up with his statistics? Obama claims we are more Muslim than Christian, yet, the facts don’t back him up at all! Is it possible that Barack Obama is playing up to the Muslim leaders around the world, and dismissing 79.5% of the American population?

As I have seen more and more anti-Christian sentiment spread across America, I have seen the degeneration of America’s ethical and moral values. When I see our sitting President insinuate we should turn away from our Christian roots and turn to a “world belief system” that consists of abortion, sexual promiscuity and tolerance for aberrant behavior, I know America must make a change in November. Christians must “flex their muscles” at the polls or the America we love will fall before our eyes!!

(Thanks to Kate for a great heads-up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment