Thursday, March 11, 2010

" Never Again!"

In 1963 I was a sophomore in high school, the country was riding on a high note, optimism was the general order of the day. Just a year earlier during the week of October 27th. our President showed the Soviet Union what strength and resolve we had as he stood up to Nikita Khruschev and said we would not tolerate Soviet missiles in Cuba. As we waited on the brink of nuclear war our young President stood firm and the U.S.S.R. blinked first, and withdrew her missiles. Our collective chests puffed out in pride at the commitment our leader showed in the face of an imminent threat from a hostile regime. Just a year later I walked down the streets listening to songs like the Ronettes "Be My Baby" or the Four Seasons "Walk Like a Man" anxious about my upcoming 16th birthday and a drivers license.

On November 22nd it was sunny and warm for Chicago in the fall. At mid-day I was at lunch when Mr. Grady, one of the gym teachers came into the cafeteria with the news that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas, he had few details and we were all stunned. Not long afterwards in my English class our Principal made an announcement over the p.a. system; President Kennedy was dead. There were tears and disbelief, how could this happen when things seemed to be going so well. Our nation suffered a loss it still feels to this very day. I hope we never experience this again.

Yesterday a periodical called "World Net Weekly" had a cover which depicted President Obama with a large bullet hole in the center of his face! The comments used about it were "provocative, eye-catching, and unapologetic". I think they forgot terms like irresponsible, idiotic, and stupid. As anyone who reads my blog knows I am not a supporter of Mr. Obama's administration and I am not shy about my criticism of his policies, yet I will never endorse the violence that an irresponsible periodical has used to titillate the low foreheads who believe in violent actions to make change.

As an American and as a conservative I am disgusted by this type of exploitative and dangerous journalism, if one can call this journalism. There are enough lunatics out there now without adding to the number by giving passive endorsement to the violent mental midgets who take pleasure in the idea of murder to achieve their goals. We don't need a repeat of November 1963 in our nation, and we don't need to give fringe thinkers any more ideas.

I hope Mr. Obama is a one term president, but I want him to leave office in a healthy and fit state. Although we don't agree on very much I must say this I believe he feels he is doing what he believes is best for America. If one doesn't agree with him then show it at the ballot box, that is the American way to bring about change, any other way corrupts the principles we should all support. God Bless our nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment