Wednesday, March 10, 2010

" Class Reunion"

I've been out of high school over forty-four years (this looks scary in print), I didn't attend my last reunion a few years ago as it conflicted with some work issues; I did attend my 25th. reunion several years ago. I was happy to see some old familiar faces, and I was still in pretty good shape and kept my hair, although it was more "blond". I remember when I walked into the lobby of the hotel I heard my name called out from across the room; it was my friend and former class president John. We greeted each other with a warm embrace and handshake. We exchanged stories about Mrs. Stones English class, where I was threatened with several trips to the "office" for my random comments; although they were humorous they were not well received by Mrs. Stone. As I moved further into the hotel I met my old buddy Dave, we were on the wrestling team together and we spent the better portion of two hours talking about our old coaches and team mates. From there I ran into two friends Vito and Benny; they used to work for "Arnie's Beef Stand" and if I went there after closing they would feed me for nothing, a great benefit for a hungry teenager. Over the course of the reunion I ran into several people and had a very good time, yet there were some people of whom I had no memory and when I asked others who they were they couldn't remember them either. I found this to be very sad, people lost, forgotten friends.

Over the last week or so there has been a story in the news about the revision of history text books. It seems that there are factions that want to delete some names and events from the new books as they feel they have become irrelevant in current history. History is the one book that should continue to get larger, as history is made every day, just read the newspaper. Some of the names that have been called into question are Daniel Boon, Thomas Edison, and Dwight D. Eisenhower. I could go on and on about the contributions of the above names have made in the history of the United States, but who wants to read a six page blog. When we start deleting history we are moving into very dangerous territory; what is coming next? Book burning, getting rid of those ideas that don't go along with what the current pressure groups want the public to see; Hitler loved this idea!

Here's a few other names we might want to consider deleted from history. How about that pesky Thomas Jefferson, or Socrates, or Martin Luther, or John L. Lewis. You see when we start to pick and choose what is important we do a tremendous disservice to our children and to our duty to our heritage. We all have much to learn from those that have come before us, we cannot afford the arrogance of dismissing the contributions of the people who have been instrumental in the development of America as we know it.

Let us remember all who have given us something of value in our growth as a nation. Let us not forget anyone in the corner who were part of our nation's "class reunion". If we lose our memory of past contributors to America, we may lose America!

No comments:

Post a Comment