Wednesday, March 24, 2010

" 2 + 2 is always 4!"

I have never been a fan of math, not my strong suit in school. I'm not a moron, I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide with the best. I have friends who were "math heads", they love the logic and uncompromising answers that math provides. Precision, accuracy, unalterable conclusion; this is the ultimate goal of a mathematician. We've all heard the term, "You can't argue with the numbers!",and "2 + 2 is always 4". As a responsible person I believe I should live within my means, avoiding expenditures that are unnecessary or foolish. As an example, I would love a 52" television with surround sound and a gigantic cable package with unlimited sports, yet, I would be exhibiting poor judgement by running out the door and committing plastic suicide and purchasing these frivolities. We do keep a credit line but our balance is usually at zero; we are careful with our money. Credit is a useful tool when used properly; when it is abused it ruins lives. I've tried to pass this logic on to my daughter and to my delight she took my council to heart and lives an intelligent financial life.

Our government has not lived a responsible financial life for a very long time; so long in fact that they have abandoned all logic when it comes to taxpayers' money. We are in grave financial territory as a nation because of a free spending government and the encouragement of a free spending life style our government has encouraged. Financial institutions were pressured into loaning money to poor risks for property that those borrowers really couldn't afford. When the economy began to dip these spurious practices came home to roost and people started losing their homes. The government is the real culprit in our real estate crisis, they pushed these loans in the pursuit of social equity rather than common sense.

We have now committed a sixth of our economy to government regulation, this same government that has plunged us into the current financial crisis. Accountability is only a rumor in Washington. Historically government programs never operate within their budgets very long; I believe it is because they don't spend their own money. Misguided ideas about social justice and an open ended spending philosophy will damage this country; perhaps beyond repair.

It is my hope that come November America will choose a path of fiscal responsibility and ethical conduct in legislation. Over the last twelve plus months we have seen what free spending and questionable ethics have already done. Let's push for a common sense America before it is too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment