Friday, March 12, 2010

" Empty Promises?"

Did you ever join a club or group when you were younger, like the Boy Scouts or a fraternal group like Jaycee's? Usually there is some type of pledge that accompanies you joining the organization. I remember the "Our Gang" comedy shorts, one episode I remember in particular was when the boys formed the "He-man Woman Haters Club", it was hilarious as Spanky and Alfalfa traded comments about how they didn't want anything to do with girls; until Alfalfa ran into Darla, then Alfalfa's pledge went out the window as he rolled his eyes and clutched his heart over Darla's beauty. Alfalfa forgot his pledge in pursuit of his own feelings.

Article II of the United States Constitution
"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of the President of the United States,
and I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States"

Article VI of the United States Constitution
"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

The above oaths, pledges, promises, are taken by our president, senators, and congressmen when they enter office. These promises should not be entered into lightly; they are a pledge to the people of the United States to protect and follow the precepts of the Constitution upon which all of our laws and freedom are based. When political interest takes precedence over the will of the people the promises of the office holders are being breached, the trust that they have been given is in question.

It would well serve those who now sit in those seats of power to reexamine those promises that were made on the day they entered office, and the gravity of their decisions.

Over the next few days it appears that our Congress is about to force a health-care bill the people don't want by manipulating the Constitution for political purpose. This is an abuse of the public trust, and a perversion of our Constitution. If this twisting of government continues what can we next expect to see from this Congress and this Presidential administration?

We must now be more aware then ever before about the acts of our elected officials; it seems their promises don't extend beyond their politics. I believe Mr. Obama and his fellow Democrats need to read their pledges again and ponder each word. "Protect and defend the Constitution"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment