Thursday, July 19, 2012

"I Built It Myself!"


When I got out of the Army, I had a common dream held by many of my fellow soldiers which was to cruise around in a “hot rod”. There was just something about the idea of driving anywhere you liked as fast as you could go in a “sweet ride”.

One of my first jobs after I got home was working for a dealership, driving a parts truck. I liked that job because I was on my own most of the day, making stops and listening to WLS on the A.M. radio. I also got a discount on all of my parts purchases, which came in pretty handy. I was looking for a car to build into my “dream machine” and I finally found it; a 1969 SS Camaro with a 396 engine and a four-speed transmission. I saved for quite some time to get the necessary funds I needed to buy my dream car; and it wasn’t a dream when I bought it. The car needed paint and body work, and the engine wasn’t in terrific condition either; but it had a good base to start from.

The first stage of my transformation was the engine; I could have rebuilt the existing 396 engine, but I decided that as long as I could get my parts wholesale, I was going for a more powerful plant to run the new baby. I spent about $3,000 on a new 454 horsepower engine, an additional $300 on “Hooker Headers”, an additional $125 on a competition clutch and an additional $200 on “ladder bars” for increased traction for my rear tires. When all of the engine work was done, my Camaro was pushing out about 600 horsepower; she could really fly.

The next phase was the cosmetics of the car. When I bought her, she was an awful shade of faded green metallic paint that was in the process of flaking off. The interior was black (thank God) and it was in really good condition; all it needed was a good cleaning. I removed the original hood and replaced it with a hood from the R.S. model Camaro, which was raised and looked much “cooler” than the SS hood. The entire car was then sanded down and primed with grey surface primer; it was wet-sanded and painted. I chose bright yellow, a real eye catcher, and had some friends add a black vinyl roof; some black pin-stripes and new SS wheel covers and my hot rod was ready to roll!

I happily drove that car for about three years, and then decided to sell her. I never recovered the investment I put into that car, but the memories are worth a million dollars to me; although I did make a few bucks in street races!

The other day, Barack Obama said that small business men didn’t get there on their own merit and this caused me to remember my Camaro. I spent hours upon hours building that car; I dedicated myself to that purpose. Nobody actually had an interest in the completion of that restoration other than me. I had friends who followed my progress, but it was my accomplishment in the end; just like those brave souls who venture into the free market. They pursued their dreams in much the same way I followed mine.

Many people would stop and admire my Camaro, and make nice comments about her; but none of them knew how many hours it took to make a tired green Camaro into a “king of the road”; much the same way as Barack Obama has no clue as to what it took to make a dream into a business.
Mr. Businessman, enjoy your success, you worked for it, and nobody else. Thank you for giving people jobs and chasing the American dream!!

No comments:

Post a Comment