Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"A Question of Faith!"

Have any of you heard the term "speaking out of ignorance"? It means not knowing what you're talking about, but talking anyway! Some people make it up as they go along. We see ignorance on a daily basis; half-truth and bias seem to be at their apex in today's rhetoric. Character assassination has become the order of the day; taking things out of context has become an art by the media! America will be facing another Presidential election in November of 2012; we are just seeing the beginnings of the campaign, and already misinterpretation and falsehoods are becoming the standard. Obviously, the most radical factions of political groups will happily go down the path of misinformation and lies; anything goes when trying to win an election is a way of life for dedicated ideologues. I do find it disheartening when members of the media ask questions without understanding what their question means. Substance is important; know what you are asking about in relation to the person being interviewed.

Last week,the Republican "hopefuls" were engaged in a Presidential debate on FOX NEWS. I'm a regular viewer of FOX NEWS (I'm sure some of you have guessed this already). I like FOX because I believe it doesn't pull any punches, yet it tries to be "fair and balanced". I like Michelle Bachmann; I'm not a supporter of Michelle Bachmann, although I do find areas of agreement with her. Michelle Bachmann is a Christian; as I look at her life I see evidence of a Christian life, and I applaud her for this. During the debate, one of the commentators asked Ms. Bachmann about the bible phrase of "wives submit to your husbands..." in the content of Ms. Bachmann doing what her husband said in regard to holding the office of President. When I heard this question, I was flabbergasted; it was obvious to me that this commentator knew nothing of the biblical content of this verse. In a Christian home, the husband and father is the spiritual leader of the house, according to the faith a wife should submit to her husband on spiritual issues. This verse also says "husbands, love you wives as Christ loves the church"; in other words, a good husband and father gives up his life for the good of his wife and children. One of the worst things anyone can do with the bible is to pick and choose verses to bend them to their own agenda. The commentator was either ignorant of the verse's intent, or this was done to give a false impression of what the verse means. Ms. Bachmann's spiritual life should not be in question during a Presidential debate; had she been a Muslim would she have been asked about Jihad?

I believe, in the future, all members of the media, FOX included, should have knowledge of all of the aspects of their questions; if this had been the case during the questioning of Ms. Bachmann, perhaps that question would never have been spoken!

(Usually I post early in the day; starting Wednesday I will be posting in late afternoons due to a schedule change, thank you for reading my stuff!)

No comments:

Post a Comment