Monday, August 8, 2011

"Fair and Balanced, or Shut Up!?"

Every couple of years in America, we go to the polls and have elections. Most of us hope those elections are conducted in an ethical and honest manner. We have processes for getting on the ballot; major parties have conventions where they elect a candidate to run for the prospective offices. Independent candidates can get petitions with a sufficient number of signatures to secure a place on the ballot. We have the ability to have our voices heard in America; thank God we live in a place that allows all voices to be heard. I don't agree with everybody; just ask my wife. I am a man of strong opinions, and I'm not afraid to voice them. Not everyone I know appreciates my opinions, as I don't always appreciate theirs. This is good, as the bible says "steel sharpens steel"; we need to hear from everybody or we will learn nothing. In the past, there have been countries that weren't so sympathetic to diverse opinions. The Soviet Union wasn't especially forgiving when a diverse opinion was voiced; ask those who still remember Stalin! The Soviet Gulag was the final destination for many political adversaries; or a "mysterious disappearance" took place, never to be seen again. The NAZI regime wasn't too happy about criticism either. Goebells and Himler weren't too thrilled when somebody said something not complementary about Adolph and his boys. All they did was send you to camp, CONCENTRATION CAMP! That free speech idea didn't work very well in NAZI Germany, or the communist Soviet Union!

I get concerned when I hear that there are some people in leadership who advocate the "muzzling" of any segment of our population. The free exchange of ideas is a cornerstone of American freedom. We allow everybody a chance to speak in America. Am I disturbed when the American NAZI Party speaks; well yes, but as crazy as they are, they still live under the same Constitution that I do, thus the same rights. The New Black Panthers espouse hatred at every opportunity; is it poisonous rhetoric, obviously, yet it is protected speech under our Constitution.

We, as Americans, have the right to choose what we listen to and what we will discount as lunatic rantings. The TEA Party has done what we've been doing as Americans for generations; it has voiced American opinions, and it has the right to be heard. We should be suspect of those who wish to limit opposing opinions. What is it they don't want us to hear? Senator John Kerry (D-Ma) and failed presidential candidate said the American media shouldn't give the TEA Party equal time in the American forum. Mr. Kerry believes that a balanced budget and fiscal accountability are "wacky ideas" and shouldn't be showcased in the public discourse. I guess Mr. Kerry doesn't believe these are "legitimate ideas", to use his own words.

Well I guess I'm "Wacky", because I believe those are excellent ideas. If America had followed those precepts for the last few decades, we wouldn't be in the financial "spaghetti bowl" we are now in! If Mr. Kerry thinks this type of thought is "wacky", then I have serious doubts about his grasp on reality. I don't live in Massachusetts (thank God), so I don't have to take responsibility for electing a man who thinks like John Kerry. We, as Americans, must keep a watchful eye on men like Kerry, or he may try to legislate away our 1st amendment rights. Let's keep that free speech idea, it has worked pretty well for over 230 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment