Thursday, October 7, 2010

"A Time of Respect and Reverence"

A few years ago, my wife and I traveled to a small town near us to see the traveling "Viet Nam Wall". For several years, I've wanted to see this memorial, as I had several friends whose names were on it. When we pulled into the parking area there was hardly a space available; after a long search, we finally found a spot. The crowd walking toward the memorial was of various ages, although most seemed to be around my age; at the time, mid-50s. I didn't realize just how large this wall was until I saw it in person. It was a long stretch from the front to back, imposing in its chiseled letters against the black surface. The closer we got, the more impressive it became; as I looked closely at it, I was hit with the multitude of names, one following the next; like soldiers marching in formation. As I reflect on this, I think each name is a son, husband, brother or cousin to someone. Each name was an empty chair at Christmas or Thanksgiving; an irreplaceable loss. I eventually found the names I was looking for. I knew this would be difficult, but I didn't know how profoundly I would be moved. My wife stood next to me and I began to choke back tears I had held for a long time. Around me were many others who were doing much the same thing. Other than murmuring in low tones, there wasn't much talk. We finished and went back to our car; the trip home was pretty quiet. I wondered what those old "hippie protesters" were doing that day!

We have many fallen heroes today; men and women who have paid for our freedom by giving their lives so we can live in a free society. We cannot give these silent patriots enough honor to them or their families who have given as much as one can give.

Currently, there is a "Christian" group who has been protesting at the funerals of the slain military. A Topeka, Kansas fundamentalist group has been to hundreds of funerals as a protest of gay people in the military, as they believe it is against God's law to be gay. I have knowledge of the bible, as I'm an elder in a Christian church. I know the passages that these people are quoting. Oddly, these people are picking and choosing what parts of the bible they wish to follow. The bible is very careful about judgment; it belongs to God and only God. Jesus said to love one another and go out and spread the Gospel. Sin is defined in the bible, and it's God's province to make all final decisions on a person's life decisions; not mans'.

These funerals, which are a remembrance of a life given, are no place for protest of any cause. Perhaps they have a Constitutional right to invade this most private of moments; but, is this what God would want done? If this group wants to complain about government policies, they have plenty of space in front of the White House to parade around. I don't think the fathers and mothers of fallen soldiers would come to any funerals of your believers carrying signs and making cat-calls at the mourners; they know what loss means! As a Christian, I would like to apologize for these people; they just don't get it! They have misinterpreted God's word and turned it into a message of hate. No matter what the Supreme Court rules in this matter, they should ask themselves this question: What would Jesus do?

No comments:

Post a Comment