Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Tall Tales"

"Saturday Night Live" used to have a character called the "compulsive liar", played by John Lovitz. He was hilarious as he would go on and on spouting about all of his achievements and conquests. I remember him talking about his girlfriend, Morgan Fairchild, and how he won at Wimbleton. His tall stories were so far out there, they were legendary. I read a book when I was a boy called "Tall Tales and Legends"; it told the stories of "Pecos Bill", "John Henry" and "Paul Bunyan" plus some others. This was a favorite of mine as I grew up. Obviously, there was no giant lumber-jack or cowboy who could straighten out a river, but these tales were fun and magical to a nine year old boy. As I grew older, I liked to read about the Greek myths; you know, the stories of the gods on Mount Olympus, who could cast down lightening or turn men into pigs with magic spells. I knew these stories weren't true, but they were certainly fun to read. I don't think anybody in Greece still believes that those Greek gods were real, but I'm sure they enjoy those stories as part of their heritage. When I attained a certain age of maturity, I took an interest in history, which I still carry today. Oddly, history must be factual or it turns into tall tales; it loses its validity. Testimony, documentation, films and physical evidence are used to validate historical fact.

Today, we have people, like that lunatic in Iran, who deny the "Holocaust", making ridiculous claims that it never happened. I had an uncle, who liberated the concentration camps in Germany; believe me, this really happened! General Eisenhower said, when inspecting a camp, "This is the only time I've been ashamed of my last name." I've seen the military films of most of these camps, and the devastation is beyond belief. My daughter visited a camp on her trip to Europe and saw the relics of this insanity. IT WAS REAL!

Currently, there is an associate professor of English, Kaukab Siddique, at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania spouting hatred toward Israel, and calling for its destruction. He is a tenured professor who has influence over hundreds of young minds on a daily basis. He denies the "Holocaust" as a "hoax" and was "invented", he also said "(there is) not even one document (proving it happened)". He said, "Jews have taken over America by devious and immoral means". This man would have made Hitler proud, as he said, "It is obvious to us that Zionism is genocide. It's is obvious to us that Zionism is terrorism." Lincoln University received nearly 200 million dollars in state funding since 2003. What a great use for taxpayers' money it is to contribute to a salary for this bigoted moron! Siddique spoke out saying "When I refer critically to the Jews, I am reffering to the current leadership..", he denies being anti-Semitic saying his views "...conform to the ideals and principles that founded Lincoln University". Wow; don't send your kids there!!

Tall tales are fun; spreading hatred and prejudice are not. Tenured positions in any university are not a license to lie! Don't we have laws regarding "Hate Speech" in America? If we come to the aid of gay Americans and black Americans when confronted by this type of bigotry, why are we not pursuing some "hate speech" prosecution of this evil man? He is not telling tall tales! He is promoting lies that lead to death!

No comments:

Post a Comment