Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Only in America!"

I remember my high school graduation. I remember sitting next to a friend named Jan; each of us in our cap and gown, hotter than blazes in the gym, and stuck to the metal chairs. Our class had about 250 seniors; not huge by a city standard, so we knew just about everybody. Oddly, as we sat there, we saw people who we could not identify, who had been in our class four years. I would say "Who is that?"and Jan would reply "I have no idea!" I remember the speeches; I'm sure you all had similar ones about "hitching your wagon to a star", "this is the first day of the rest of your life"; pretty generic for most graduations. The thing is, all of those speeches preached the possibility of success because of the American promise of the "pursuit of happiness". I said the American promise, not the international promise. Don King is famous for saying "Only in America!", and he is right. Nowhere else in the world is the possibility of success more attainable than the "Good Old U.S.A.". As Americans, we want our children to become successful; we re-mortgage our houses so they will get a college education; we are willing to make sacrifices so they will be better off than we are. We believe in the AMERICAN DREAM! Last week in Washington, President Obama was speaking to the Spanish language television network, Univision. An illegal alien student made a call on Skype and asked Mr. Obama this "My question for the President is why (is the government) saying deportations have stopped or the detention of many students like me; why are we still receiving deportation letters like this one?" The President assured the caller that our justice department was focusing on criminals, not for those who are "doing the right things" in America, and adjustments will be made. He said 'We want you to succeed!" I'll bet not too many illegal aliens are remortgaging their homes to send their illegal children to college. I'll bet a whole bunch of them are receiving government money to send those illegal children to college; you know, our tax dollars! My wife formerly worked with international students, and we've had many of them in our home for various holidays and dinners. Those who are legal foreign students pay a higher rate to attend our universities and colleges, and they are happy to do so. Those students go through rigorous screening to come to America, and I have yet to hear a complaint from any of them. I don't have any complaint about a "legal" alien coming to America for an education. Illegal aliens have no rights to our educational system! My advice to those illegals who want to succeed, is this "GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY AND PRESSURE YOUR OWN GOVERNMENT ABOUT EDUCATION, YOU DON'T BELONG IN AMERICA, YOU'RE ILLEGAL!"

No comments:

Post a Comment