Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"It's God's Word, Don't Mess With It!"

I'm a meat eater; just ask my wife! Steak, cheeseburgers, pork chops, sausage, fried chicken or beef stew; I love my meat meals! I also like animals; not only for supper, but as faithful companions. When I lost my old dog "Charlie" to cancer, I wasn't much fun to be around for quite some time; he was my "best friend". If you have read my blogs in the past you know I'm a Christian, and I serve as an elder in my church. The bible is very important to me; I believe the bible is the anointed word of God, and that it is divinely inspired. Verse 19 of Revelation says "and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book." This is a very serious statement to me and to all believers. I believe the bible is a sacred book and should not be tampered with to fit into one's personal or political agenda. In Genesis 1:26, it says "Let Us make man in Our own image according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth". God, in this verse, says we are not the equal of animals; we are given dominion over them. In Genesis 9:3, it says "Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you, I give all to you as I gave the green plant." PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) wants to change the words of the bible to make it more "animal friendly". This organization wants to give animals a different persona than the bible intends them to have. They want the animals referred to on the level of "he or she" instead of "it". Oddly, it seems that PETA feels they have a better handle on creation than the Creator. The Old Testament is filled with animal sacrifice for atonement of sin; will PETA want to "edit" that part out of the bible next? As a Christian, I don't believe we should be elevating animals to the level of people; that was not God's intention for the animals. Animals are here for man's use; as food or beasts of burden; I'm sorry if this offends the people of PETA. This doesn't mean that man has license to abuse animals; God has given us a trust to use them properly, and treat them properly. When I see clips from bull fights, I cheer for the bull! When I see people who use dogs for fighting, I am appalled and I wish the punishment was more severe than it is. I don't know what the Qaran says about animals; my experience is with the bible, but I'll bet there are passages about animal sacrifice. PETA should ask the Muslims to change their holy book and see what happens. PETA should stick to the secular world and leave spirituality alone. As a certain public servant once said "It's out of my job description!"

No comments:

Post a Comment