Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"And Justice For All!"

I love my Italian heritage; the food is great, the family unity is wonderful and we have Frank Sinatra! When we go out to dinner, I always opt for Italian food when available; it's yummy! I always loved the conversations with my great uncles and my grandmother, when they talked about the "old country". My wife is from Jewish heritage, and she loves to talk about her older relatives and the stories they could tell. They also have great food! I learned about "bagels and lox" while we were dating; yummy! During my life, I heard the words "Dago" and "Wop"; they never sat well with me. My wife heard words like "Kike" and "Yidd"; these were just as hurtful. No one knows more about oppression and prejudice than the Jewish people. All that being said, when push comes to shove, we are Americans of different cultural backgrounds, all equal under the American Justice System; all entitled to the same protections under that system. Every social and ethnic group has stories of oppression and name calling. Our justice system should never choose to impose personal feelings in the meeting out of justice in America. If your feelings get in the way of equal justice, then you must resign! You are unfit for your position!

Eric Holder is the Attorney General of the United States of America, the chief legal officer in this nation. Eric Holder is black; so what! Mr. Holder's racial background should have nothing to do with his execution of his duties! When Mr. Holder wakes up in the morning, he should see an American in the mirror first; then, he should see his skin color, not the reverse! In a recent hearing over the New Black Panther voter intimidation incident, he believes that focus on that case "demeans my people"; are they the American people, Mr. Holder? Holder has been accused of failure to pursue this case and having it dismissed by the Civil Rights Commission. Holder said "When you compare what people endured in the South in the 60s to try to get the right to vote for African Americans, to compare what people subjected to that with what happened in Philadelphia, which was inappropriate...to describe it in those terms, I think, does a great disservice to people who put their lives on the line for my people." I find the term "my people" used by Mr. Holder as very disturbing. Who are Mr. Holder's people; are they not the American people, Mr. Holder? Is what you are saying is that voter intimidation is acceptable in certain situations? Are you advocating a double standard in our justice system? Mr Holder has also accused the GOP of using the "race card" in this situation. Once again, when all else fails, racism is called out! This is a tired argument and America is sick of hearing it! Mr. Holder's job is to prosecute those who break the law, regardless of race, creed or national origin. He is supposed to put personal prejudice aside. If he can't do this, then he should RESIGN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment