Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Plumber or Electrician?"

Did you ever seek advice from an expert about a problem? I used to watch my Dad whenever he did repairs around the house; I was fascinated by the way my Dad could do all of those different jobs that came up; it seemed Dad could fix anything! He had a workbench in our basement with numerous tools hanging on a peg-board. He told me, "Each tool has a specific use for each job; when you know what each tool does you will be able to make your repairs more easily." Whenever Dad was working on a home project, I was there standing close and asking a lot of questions, I'm sure there were times when Dad wished I would go and play somewhere, yet he always answered my questions with patience and good humor. My Dad had many friends who were tradesmen; plumbers, electricians and contractors. When my Dad ran into a problem he couldn't solve, he would try to consult a friend who was more knowledgeable in the field helpful to Dad's problem. My Dad had a friend named Rocco, he was a building contractor, and he was very successful. Rocco couldn't read or write, but he could tell you how to pour cement or build a wall with great expertise. Dad said Rocco could build something that would fit perfectly without being able to read a word; but he knew his business because his father was a master carpenter and he learned from his Dad. My Dad wouldn't call a plumber to do the job of an electrician; he would be smart, but not smart in the area that needed correction. Specific jobs call for specific skills.

Last week, I read an article saying that Treasury Secretary, Tim Geithner, was consulting Jon Stewart of the "Daily Show" for advice on the economy. I don't know about how you may feel about this, but I'm a little confused. Why is a Cabinet Member consulting a comedian about the state of our nation's economy, and discounting the opinion of the Republicans. A spokesman for Geithner, Steve Adamke, said "Jon Stewart is influential in America, so we took the opportunity for the two to meet and discuss the economy"; isn't this just a little disturbing? I believe Mr. Stewart is a talented humorist and does have influence over his audience, but I know nothing of his expertise in national or global economics.

We live in a nation filled with colleges and universities with numerous economics professors. We have numerous billion dollar corporations with "real world" economic experienced businessmen. We have millions of American housewives who regularly balance their home budgets. I believe all of those I have mentioned are more qualified to give economic advice than the host of a comedy show, regardless of his audience. Is this not "Pop Culture" gone wild? Mr. Geithner needs to get his advice from people who actually know what they are talking about!! When I read this, I said to myself : "It's no wonder this economy is in the shape it's in!"

Mr. Obama, you need to stop calling plumbers to do the job of electricians. Mr. Obama, your lack of experience is showing. Please call on those Americans that can actually help us out of this economic mess. We don't need "Comedy Central", this is NO JOKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment