Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Memories and Thanksgiving"

A week from today is "Thanksgiving Day"; I can't wait! A great meal, a loving family and the NFL all in one day, what could be better than that!!?

Thanksgiving Day is unique to America, although I think Canada also has one. Those first settlers suffered through some pretty tough times that first year; sickness and the elements took their toll on those pilgrims. I'm sure if they knew what the New England climate was like, they would have opted to go further south; no Weather Channel to scan back then. They persevered and found a home in North America. Those settlers learned all about self reliance and trusting God in all situations. The only "welfare program" they had was the goodness of their neighbors and the providence of God. With all the trials those folks faced, they still took time to thank God and celebrate His goodness. We could all take a cue from those faithful pilgrims.

I walked around my house this morning to our small library, where I sometimes sit and read. It is quiet and cozy there; I have several bookcases with all types of books. One case is basically all history books, with some biographies mixed in. Another case is Theology and religion, with several study volumes and bibles in it, plus some books on other belief systems. I spend some time in these books, as I am an elder in our church and it helps me to be well versed when questioned by members of our congregation. I have a couple of shelves that are filled with sports books; football, baseball and boxing are prominent subjects in my sports interests, and I really enjoy reading about them. I have some opinion books on those shelves also, mostly conservative as many of my readers could probably have guessed. My favorite bookcase contains family albums and yearbooks. Those volumes contain something all my other books don't; a pictorial history of all the people I have loved in my entire life: my Wife, Daughter, Mom, Dad, Brothers and Sisters, plus countless friends, all of whom which I hold dear to my heart. Those pictures recall numerous birthdays, Christmases, Thanksgivings and anniversaries of the past. When I look at those pictures, it is like stirring up a huge soup pot and watching all the ingredients circle to the top; the ingredients of my life. I have favorite pictures that make me laugh or bring up a tear or two. I thank God for the inventor of the camera. I hope each of you have family albums to look at; remembrances of the best times of your lives. Those are the things we need to remember when we sit down to Thanksgiving dinner next week. Remember to look around the table at those faces seated near you, these are your most precious to you, always remember how they look and carry them in your heart.

We, who have loved ones close, are most blessed by God and we should never forget that. We, who live in a free nation, have much to be thankful for and we should continue to be thankful for that. I hope all of you have a glorious Thanksgiving Day next week. Enjoy your dinner, have fun with the football games, and tell the ones you love how much you love them. Be blessed!

(This is my last blog until a week from Monday. I will be celebrating for a few days with those I love!)

No comments:

Post a Comment