Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Double Standard!"

When I was a little boy, just starting my love affair with baseball, I had a coach who taught me a valuable life lesson. I don't think it was his intention to do so, but I learned about "double standards" from Mr. "A". I remember the day I got my first official baseball uniform, "the Barons"; my eight year old heart raced as I ran to my bedroom to try it on. I stood in front of my mirror admiring my image, with thoughts of Mickey Mantle dancing through my young mind. My Dad and I practiced catching and hitting for a long time prior to my "debut" in a real uniform, on a real team. This was the maiden voyage of my new Eddie Matthews baseball glove, given to me by my favorite Uncle Sammy. Our first team practice was all about finding out who were the best players on the squad. We all took positions on the field, and I was on fire that day, making catch after catch, retrieving ground balls like a vacuum and throwing like a rocket. I took my place at the plate and hit like Ted Williams, not missing a pitch. When I returned to the bench, my fellow team mates all congratulated me on my performance at the plate with handshakes and smiles (back then, the high five hadn't been invented yet). I went home that afternoon with visions of being on the starting nine on opening day. Well, on "Opening Day" I was in for a rude awakening, Mr. A's son started in my position on the field. Paul was a nice guy, but he was a marginal ball player at best. The guys on the bench all were surprised to see me sitting while Paul started, and in private, they all told me I got cheated. I felt bad, I knew I should have been playing; but I wasn't the coach's son. My first experience with the "double standard", and I didn't like it!

Last week, I wrote about Juan Williams and his spurious firing from NPR . The firestorm resulting from his firing was amazing. Even some of the liberals came to his defense over his mild remarks made on the "O'Reilly Factor". The figure I heard was about 60 calls to NPR in protest of Williams' remarks on O'Reilly's show. O'Reilly usually has an audience in the millions; 60 calls in protest seem rather minimal; yet, they were enough to warrant the dismissal of Mr. Williams from NPR.

Bill Maher is one of my "favorite liberals". He has made a career of castigating the right as being haters, racists and neo-Nazis. His disdain of our Constitution is well known, and his dismissal of the intelligence of the American people is well documented. Last week, Mr. Maher made some statements about Muslims in our western civilization. Maher said, "(He felt no need to) apologize for being a proud Westerner....Muslim people are in these (Western) societies having babies at faster clip than non-Muslims." It seems Mr. Maher is alluding to a Muslim plot to populate the Western World with more and more Muslim children. I'm not a Muslim, yet I find this a very divisive and insulting statement, as I believe any American would. I'd like to ask HBO if they are considering any action over Mr. Maher's statement? I guess George Soros didn't give any money to HBO. When will the "main-stream media" start using equal coverage of those issues that are so similar in content they must be connected to one another. When will this double standard cease? I guess they need the permission of George to take action!

No comments:

Post a Comment