Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"Blue Suit and Straw Hat"

When I was a very young boy, I remember my great uncle Salvatore getting all dressed up to go to the polls and cast his vote. He looked quite the "gent", all decked out with a suit and tie, in a crisp white shirt and his straw hat perched on his head. I asked him "Zio, where are you going?" He replied to me, "I go to vote for Presidente of the United States today!" He was very proud as he walked out of the house that day; it was a great honor to be able to have a voice in the choosing of our nation's leader. Mom would go across the street to the grade school, while our upstairs neighbor, Mrs. Garrity, watched us until her return. My Dad was usually a little late coming home on Election Day; he would stop to vote on his way home from work, so our dinner was a little late that night. I don't know if it was just me, but it seemed that Dad was always a little happier after he voted. My Dad was in the service during WWII, as were all of my uncles on both sides of our family; they really understood the cost of freedom and the gift of a self- determining government of the people. I remember sitting in front of our black and white television watching the election returns. Back then, it was Edward R. Murrow and John Cameron Swazey who gave America election commentary; and America couldn't get enough of it.

Since the conception of America, we have had the privilege of voting for our leaders. Not many other nations have a system as free as ours. The precious right to vote should be guarded with all of the fervor our judicial system can muster. This year, as in previous years, we have heard rumors of voter fraud. Bus loads of people brought to polling places, given different types of "gifts", and told for whom to vote! We always hear about the voting "dead"; Cook County is famous for that constituency. As Americans, we all should be aware of these attempts to steal our process. No person has the right to intimidate or unfairly influence any voter, in any election. I hope our election judges are on their toes today. I got up at five A.M. today; I was at the polls at six A.M., I was third in line behind an older man and my lovely wife. Like my Dad I, felt happy when I walked out of the voting booth. I felt privileged to live in America.

I didn't put on a blue suit this morning, or a fine straw hat; but I did puff out my chest a bit, and pull back my shoulders. We are a fortunate people; we get to vote! Regardless of your preference, I urge everyone to vote today. America; there is no other place like it; love it and guard it, so we don't lose it! GOD BLESS OUR GREAT NATION!

No comments:

Post a Comment