Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"Thanks to Who?"

I remember watching "Captain Kangaroo" when I was little; I also remember his "magic words"; they were "Ab bra Cadabbra, please and thank you". From the time we were small, our parents always taught us to say "please and thank you" in our home. Polite was very big in our house; I never addressed an adult by their first name, it was always Mister, Miss or Misses; failing to do so was "frowned upon" by my Dad, and he was right. When we would go into a restaurant, we always thanked the waitstaff, and I believe they appreciated it. In the grocery store, we always thanked the checker, and she would usually smile. Even in my later life, I continue to thank people who render me a service. One time I even thanked a policeman for a traffic ticket; of course, that time it was just out of habit. We even thanked our Mom for cooking dinner, I think she liked that; I know Dad did.

We just celebrated "Thanksgiving" last week, and after dinner, we discussed what we were thankful for with one another. It was very enjoyable to hear that none of us were thankful for a new car or television set; we were thankful for each other, the real treasure in our lives. I gave the blessing at the table, and Jesus was prominently mentioned, without any disdain from any of us; no one was offended.

America is a blessed nation, we have food more plentiful than anywhere else in the world, we have the rights of free speech and assembly, and we have a Constitution based on individual freedom. This is a "pretty good" place to live. Those pilgrims came here so they could worship God as they pleased, and after a horrible first year, filled with death and starvation, they bounced back and brought in a fruitful crop. They then decided to offer thanks to God for their bounty, because they believe God brought them through a terrible and trying time. Americans have been thanking God ever since!

Last week, our President, Barack Obama, gave his "speech of thanks" to the nation: it was full of the usual platitudes I've become used to from Obama; but one thing was obvious in its absence; God was left out! All of our Presidents who served America previously always managed to give some thanks to ALMIGHTY GOD; but Barack Obama didn't seem to feel that was necessary! Mr. Obama's distancing himself from God seems to be a regular thing for him, as he just denied Franklin Roosevelt's prayer being placed on the World War II memorial; perhaps he thought it was divisive! I don't know what was said at the Obama table on Thanksgiving Day; I guess he would have been uncomfortable at our table; we LIKE GOD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment