Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Size Matters!"

I lived in Chicago for many years before I retreated to small town America. I used to drive through the "Down Town" area of the city regularly. I became used to the skyscrapers and vast "Lake Front". I've had friends from small towns visit me when we lived in the city, and on occasion, we would go into the "Loop" and the caverns of tall buildings. Many of our visitors would stop and look up in awe at the size of these mammoth edifices. I'm sure they all saw large buildings in movies and on television shows; but it is a different experience when you are actually standing next to them.

I remember being at a bar in the "burbs" one evening when Dick Butkus, Bobby Douglas and Doug Buffone came in (these were Chicago Bears). I was sitting in a raised booth when they passed by and even in a raised booth, they still towered over me, they were bigger in person than on television! Sometimes we don't grasp the size of things when we are "looking from a distance".

We are in a debt that is 14 trillion dollars. Now, as I look at this printed on this page the word trillion has only 8 letters, not too large, it looks manageable. Let's look at a trillion a little differently today.

Thousand: 1,000

One Hundred thousand:100,000

One Million:1,000,000

One Billion:1,000,000,000

One trillion:1,000,000,000,000

One trillion is a thousand "billions"!
Wow! If you make $100,000 a year it will take you 10 years to make a million dollars. It will take you 10,000 years to make a billion and it will take you 10 million years to make a trillion! What does this say about the debt this nation has accumulated? America cannot continue on this path; and furthermore, we must take swift and severe action to change and it must be done now! We can no longer "bankroll" any other nations; we need to clean our own house, or our house will be foreclosed!

Many Americans don't understand the magnitude of this debt!
Our leaders need to act NOW! Believe me everyone; Republicans and Democrats, this is your responsibility! SIZE MATTERS!

(
I will be off tomorrow for personal business, see you Monday. T.P.)

1 comment:

  1. This is such an important thing to understand- I once heard a really good way of explaining it to do with how long it would take you to count to each number (1million, 1 trillion etc) if you counted one a second

    http://modern-life-rubbish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete