Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"Countrify America, Mr. President!"

A week ago, we saw the American Idol crowned again. I'm a fan; every year, I pledge I will not get involved in another season; by week two, I'm stuck again! This program has become an American institution; millions of viewers cast their votes for a favorite contestant, hoping he or she will be the next great voice. Scotty McCreery was this year's winner, and I couldn't have been happier. His clean and wholesome attitude; and youthful exuberance was wonderful. I'm a country fan, so his voice was a perfect fit for me; although I really liked the runner up, Lauren Alaina; also a country singer. Each of these two contestants were about sixteen years old; virtually children. Each of these contestants came from families with conservative American values. Each of these contestants seemed to have genuine affection for each other.

One of the things that I liked about Scotty was, he was offended and taken aback by "Pop Diva" Lady GaGa. Her suggestive comments were not well received by this young man; for that, I give him praise for exhibiting great character in the face of "popular culture". One hundred and twenty million people voted in the final week of Idol this year. This is an astounding number. When we examine the available choices, I find it interesting, that both contestants are from the country genre; perhaps, the most conservative music genre in America. Is this a reflection of what America really wants? There were "rockers", "jazz singers" and "soul singers"; yet, the finals were "country"; a thoroughly American form of music. Is this the true identity of America?

About a week or so ago, I wrote about a "Rap-Thug" called Common who went to the White House to reflect American culture. Vile music about violence and murder was invited into our nation's home, and showcased as American culture. I didn't hear if Toby Keith, or John Rich got a call from our First Lady; but I guess they didn't. I don't know if President Obama called Scotty to congratulate him; I didn't hear anything about it. Is what is being reflected in the White House truly what America yearns to be? Do we want our youth striving to "carry an Uzi, or kill a cop"?

I would like to thank America for showing what they really believe about American values. "Common" couldn't be more well-named; because he is common in his venue. His work reflects all the things we don't want America to degenerate into, violence and disregard for the law.

Mr. President, America is a country,;let's put the Country back in America! Well, my friends,that's a "RAP"!

No comments:

Post a Comment