Friday, February 18, 2011

"Faithful Friend?"

I have many friends; some are casual friends that I see on occasion and exchange pleasantries, and others are close confidants with whom I share my problems, hopes and desires. My best friend lives over 200 miles from me, and I truly miss the daily contact we used to have on a regular basis. We exchange calls throughout the year, and we each make occasional visits to one another's home; it is always a festive event when we get together. He is a brother to me, and has been with me when I've made some of my family's most important decisions. My daughter has said to me "You and Uncle Phil are exactly the same; when he says things, they are the same as you...it's weird".I'm most fortunate to have a friend like Phil; there is nobody like him. I was the best man at his wedding; I was honored to be able to do that and I still remember it to this day. Through rocky times and good times, we have retained our friendship; I know if I need to call someone in the middle of the night, Phil will come. I hope everyone who reads this has a friend like Phil.

In 1948, Israel was re-formed as a nation. If you believe the Bible, and I do, Israel was given that land by Almighty God. I'm not going to give you a bible study; but both Jewish and Christian believers will attest to this statement. This area is known as "the promised land", the land given by God to His Chosen People.

The United States has been a staunch ally to the people of Israel since its inception and a strong advocate of Israel's right to live on this land.

Today, the United States is announcing a rebuke against Israel over its settlement activity; it is quoted as saying that they back a U.N. Security Council statement "...(it) does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlement activity...". I don't remember any time in recent history where the United States hung one of its strongest allies "out to dry". Israel is the only true democracy in the Middle-East; it is the only government in that area that will back U. S. policy in this region without asking for billions in aid. Israel depends on the friendship of the American people; as the people of America need the friendship of the Israeli people.

Currently, the Arab nations are a powder keg waiting to explode. Radical factions are inciting Muslim fundamentalists as I write these words. "Death to Israel" is a common sign at countless demonstrations that are currently taking place in several countries. What is this statement saying to the Israeli people? I believe the perception must be that America is taking the expedient position and abandoning its support of Israel in an effort to assuage Arab governments that have been infiltrated by radical anti-Israeli elements. This is tacit endorsement of the factions which want to destroy Israel. America needs to re-think its position on this issue, and we need to remember who we are to the people of Israel. America needs to be that friend that you can "call in the middle of the night"; or we will not be a friend at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment