Monday, February 7, 2011

"Dutch or the Peanut Guy"

When I was in high school, we had an athlete in my class named John. I knew John since I played little league baseball. John had an older brother named Joe. Both John and Joe were great guys with terrific athletic talent and genuine humility. Both brothers were on our wrestling team, which was quite good. When John wrestled, everybody stopped to watch him; he was amazing; fast, strong and smart. Every guy on the team wanted to wrestle like John did. Outside of the team, John was a very good student and extremely well liked by all of his classmates, regardless of their "group". John reflected his home; his Dad and his Mom were very nice people who believed in treating others with respect and it showed through their children. John finished third in state in his weight class in wrestling; his picture still hangs in the high school lobby. The last time I saw John was at my tenth reunion, we were both older but his spirit was the same. John served as a platoon leader in Viet Nam; that was back in the days of "agent orange", a defoliant that caused cancer to those who were exposed to it. John didn't make it to our 25th reunion; "agent orange" took him away from us. Sometimes I think about John and I become a bit emotional; he was my friend. His values and his presence were things all of those who knew him missed greatly. We all wanted to be like John; few of us could match up. John was unique to himself, an original not to be duplicated.

Since the mid-term elections, we have seen the name of Ronald Reagan bounced around like a tennis ball from people who wouldn't have a thing to do with it two years ago. Suddenly, we are surrounded by "Reagan Lovers"; strangely, they are not all conservatives. I never thought I would hear the names of Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan spoken in the same breath. Now I hear that Mr. Obama sounds "Reaganesque" in his speeches. I don't believe "Dutch" would have taken too well to Obamacare or a 14 trillion dollar debt. I don't think "Dutch" would have taken too well to Iran's veiled threats to America; remember Qaddafi? I don't think "Dutch" would have given up any of our nuclear defense shield in Eastern Europe. I remember President Reagan asking the Soviets to "Tear down that wall!" I remember America dealing through strength, not appeasement. I remember Iran releasing prisoners as soon as Ronald Reagan was sworn into office; Iran knew he wasn't Jimmy Carter.

It seems Mr. Obama now wants to identify with Ronald Reagan. I'm sorry Mr. Obama; this just won't fly with those of us who have experienced both of you. Everything Barack Obama does would be at cross purposes to the policies of Ronald Reagan. Mr. Obama should choose a different president to identify with, one more in line with his actual values. Try Jimmy Carter, Mr. President; you are virtually identical!

No comments:

Post a Comment