Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"Selective Memory"

Do you have "selective memory"? Do you recall the past with a mental "editing" that doesn't always reflect the actual events as they took place? I think all of us have the ability to "alter" our views of past events in our life; to enhance the good things and diminish those things that weren't so good. As we leave the holiday season, I'm sure most of us had the time to talk about the "good old days" with friends and relatives. I'm sure we laughed and joked about the past while we enjoyed collective memories. At my senior status, I am a bit of a family historian; being the eldest, I can recall things that sometimes elude my younger siblings. We rarely speak of the bad things that have occurred over the years; no one wants to remember things that made them cry. I will always remember the way my Dad made us all laugh, or how my Mom gave us loving advice in tough situations; yet, I try to put aside the memories of how disease devastated them in their later years. I choose to recall only the best, and forget the worst.

Today a new Congress is being sworn in. Today a new era is about to take place in the House of Representatives. There is now a Republican majority in the House. The Congress with the lowest approval rating in history is now over. Allow me to repeat "THE LOWEST APPROVAL RATING IN HISTORY"; nobody has ever been lower than the last Congress!

Nancy Pelosi had a press conference yesterday. Nancy was recalling her "halcyon days" as Speaker of the House. Nancy said "I don't really look back, I look forward.."; probably a good choice, as her past record doesn't sit too well with the American people. Pelosi said, "We have no regrets..". Wow, "NO REGRETS", really Nancy, now she must really have a selective memory! Nancy says she will now focus on jobs and reducing the deficit. In two years, Ms. Pelosi did nothing of any real substance to create jobs in the private sector, and her Congress is responsible for the highest rate of deficit spending in the history of the United States! Suddenly, the former Speaker is going to watch out for runaway spending! Where was this person while money was being spent by the truck load on programs that the public didn't want (Obamacare)?

When Nancy looks back in years to come, will she recall those low approval ratings, or the mass of Americans who stood outside Congress protesting against a health care bill 70% of the people were opposed to? Will Nancy recall saying that the TEA Party movement was an "astro-turf" and un-American group?

Thankfully, I will no longer have to see Ms. Pelosi on the news being addressed as Speaker of the House. I will no longer have to see an arrogance that was pervasive during her term as Speaker. I hope Ms. Pelosi will take ownership of the massive deficit that her Congress has generated over the last two years; but I doubt it. I'm sure we will all see the selective memory of Nancy Pelosi, and her boss Barack Obama. Let's make sure we don't use a selective memory in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment