Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Don't Over-Rev America!"

One of my favorite possessions was my 1969 Chevy Camaro. This was my first major purchase after I got out of the service. I bought it used from a guy who couldn't keep up his payments. The car had not been well taken care of, but it had great potential. It had a 396 cubic inch engine, which I swapped out for a 454 cubic inch engine (I worked for a dealer and got the parts for cost). I put on "headers" which increased the horsepower; I also put on a larger carburetor on a competition manifold to increase the power even more. I had a competition clutch put on so I wouldn't burn it up while engaging in "street races". When it was finished, my Camaro was putting out approximately 500+ horse power. I spent over $3,000 on the power plant of my car; and I got the parts wholesale! After the engine work was complete, I had the cosmetic work done. It was originally an awful green with a black leather interior. The inside was in good shape, a good clean up was all it needed; but that green, UGH! I had a black vinyl top put on, changed the hood to a custom hood, and painted the car a bright yellow. It was "HOT"! It was "FAST"! It was the car of my dreams. I took great care of that vehicle, cleaning it regularly, and driving it carefully, making sure to treat that engine with the caution necessary to keep it from being damaged. I was careful not to "over-rev" the engine; that is, not pushing the engine beyond its limits. The result of "over-revving" is a blown engine; all you have left is a 500lb. anchor.

Our economic deficit is approaching the 14 trillion dollar absorption point; America will owe more than it can pay in a very short time! We are "over revving" our economic engine. Soon, if nothing of real substance is done, America will face an economic collapse similar to Greece. Our founding fathers designed our nation to operate within its means, offering opportunity to all according to each man's ambitions and dreams. They guaranteed success to no one; they did guarantee a chance. Somewhere along the way, our government decided that America should guarantee success to everybody; this philosophy is unsustainable! A welfare society will not function for a very long time; it will eventually reach a point where entitlements will surpass productivity: IT RUNS OUT OF MONEY! Social justice can only be achieved when people treat each other as fellow human beings on their own accord. You can't legislate morality. Fair treatment can be addressed in our justice system, as it should be. Our Constitution guarantees fairness and equal treatment, not a free ride. Spending cuts are not only something to be desired, they are vital to our nation's survival. Further spending from the federal government on new public entitlements, including this over blown health care initiative, will bankrupt America! If we don't slow down, soon America will "BLOW ITS ENGINE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment