Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Divide or Unite?"

Remember the "flower children" of the 1960s; you know, Hippies? They certainly were an unusual group; not like most of their parents who faced WWII and saw the fruits of tyranny bloom in Japan and Germany. The Hippies preached love and peace to a war torn America; oddly, they also called for the downfall of the "man", or the "establishment". Those times were marked by rioting and protests that were initiated by the "love generation". Many of those "peaceniks" were the folks who chose not to serve in the military for "reasons of conscience", and participated in some activities that included bombing government installations. The "Weathermen" and the "SDS" were prominent in those illegal activities. We certainly had a divided nation during the 1960s. We were also divided along racial lines across the country. When I was in the South taking some of my military training, I saw numerous examples of "separate but equal" treatment of Black Americans. I, coming from an urban background, had much interaction with people of different ethnicity. I formed friendships with other men from large cities, some were Black. When I was stationed in Alabama, I wanted to go into town and asked a friend "Chico" to go with me. Chico was black from Philadelphia; he said "Thanks Joe, but those folks don't want people like me in their town", and he was probably right; their necks were "redder than a fire engine". America has come a very long way from the 1960s.

This week, we celebrated Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. King was a man of peace and freedom who called for the uniting of all Americans in love and equality; a pretty good message; a message of unification, not division. I don't know anyone that practices cogent thought who would disagree with Dr. King. This message doesn't limit itself to political lines, it speaks to all Americans. Continual divisive speech will do little to bring Dr. King's dream to fruition.

This week, Chris Matthews had a program to celebrate Martin Luther King Day. This was an opportunity for Mr. Matthews to say things to unify America. Instead Mr. Matthews used this occasion to try to further divide our nation. Matthews said "..older Americans, specifically older white Americans, still have a problem with this guy (Barack Obama)". He went on to say this statement was a generalization and he would "stick with it". I am an older "white guy", from the "love generation", and I find Matthews words most offensive. I worked all of my life, I served my country, and I believe in the American dream for all Americans. I believe it is Mr. Matthews who has the real problem here. He can't believe that someone can disagree with the President without being a racist. Race is not the issue, and it should never be the issue in this country. For Mr. Matthews to vilify an entire group through his narrow perception is neither valid nor fair.

Isn't it strange that the folks on the left, who preach tolerance and dialogue, are also preaching division and generalization of others. Please, Mr. Matthews, could you at least give the illusion of non-bias in your rhetoric? I believe Dr. King spoke to all Americans; perhaps you should try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment