Friday, December 3, 2010

"True Believers?"

I have been a fan of the Chicago White Sox for a very long time. In 1959, my bedroom wall was covered with clippings from the Chicago Tribune about the Sox. I have a framed picture of Al Lopez, after the Sox won the pennant. I have pennants from each time the Sox won the division. I have Pizza Hut place mats with former Sox players on them. I have an official ball from the 2005 World Series; a prized possession. I have seen the best and the worst from the "South-Siders". I remember sitting at Comiskey Park and watching Wilbur Wood blow a seven run lead against the Texas Rangers; the "knuckler" didn't work that day.

In 2005, my White Sox won the World Series; I was emotional. All my life I was waiting for this prize; the crown jewel of baseball. All my life I saw the Sox treated as the second child of Chicago baseball; the poor cousin of the CUBS. Strangely, after the World Series in '05, Sox fans appeared from everywhere, suddenly being a Sox fan was in fashion. I had no problem with Mayor Daley cheering the Sox on, as he is a life-long Sox fan. It was the "band wagon jumpers" that really bugged me. I believe you should "stick to your guns" if you truly believe in something; it speaks well of your character.

Since the mid-term elections, I've seen an amazing transformation in the Democratic Party. Suddenly I see fiscal conservatism flowing from the mouths of the spenders. Those same folks who voted for Obamacare, driving us into a financially unsound program, are preaching budget cuts and common sense spending. Who are these people? I know this isn't only applicable to Democrats; there are plenty of Republicans who operate in the same manner and I find it disgusting. I feel this is a disservice to those who voted for these people with a certain expectation of philosophical truth. I honestly believe if there had been an overwhelming Democratic victory in November, we would be seeing the polar opposite views from some of these "converts" to conservatism. Where is the strength of character we should expect from our elected officials? Even our President seems to be "changing his spots", spouting financial responsibility, after his policies have plunged us into an abyss of fiscal nightmares.

Who are these new "fans"? Where were they when the "team was in trouble"? Are their principles so easily compromised that they will "jump off the band wagon" at the slightest sign of trouble, and so quickly jump on the opposing "band wagon" in an effort to be with the "winners"?

As Americans, we must now keep a watchful eye on these new "believers". We need to make sure they are who they say they are. We don't need "pseudo-cons", we don't need "pretenders". Let's see who are the "True Believers".

No comments:

Post a Comment