Thursday, December 9, 2010

"From My Heart to Yours"

Do you ever think about the decisions you have made over the course of your life? I've second guessed many of my decisions over the years, and I have to admit, I would change some of them if I had the chance. The one choice I have made in my life that I'm sure was the very best I ever made, concerned a young and beautiful girl. After 12,053 days, 33 Christmases, 33 Thanksgivings and 33 birthdays, I still wake up amazed that I was able to marry the most wonderful woman on earth. Oliver Wendell Holmes said,"Love is the magic key which opens the gates of happiness", and he was right. When you find someone that means more to you than you mean to yourself ,you are among the most fortunate of men. My Adrienne is the half of myself that God intended me to have, the marriage vows say, "The two shall become one flesh", and in my case this couldn't be truer. I look at her today as if every day is the first time I saw her. I watch her from across crowded rooms and she still occupies all of my attention. Between us, the years have lost their meaning. I remember an instance of walking with her when we were newly married and an ice cream truck drove by our apartment, she remarked about it like a six year old saying "Ice cream is always better from the truck!" Of course, I couldn't refuse that request; her amazing gift was her ability to make me continually feel like we would always be like young lovers regardless of time's passing.

Percy Shelly said, "Soul meets soul on lover's lips", this is not just the kiss, but the words that we have passed in conversation after conversation over countless dinners where our faces were the only ones we saw in the room, regardless of the crowd. I remember how she looked, in a green outfit, on the day she first met my parents; nervous and her eyes sparkling, I couldn't wait for Mom and Dad to meet her. I remember our second anniversary. Adrienne had a candlelight dinner prepared at home and I had to work late. I called to let her know what was happening; overtime was mandatory, I had to stay. When I got home, I was greeted by my tired young bride. I could see the disappointment on her face, and I realized what she had gone through to make it a special night. What she didn't realize was that every night was a special night as long as she was there. My nights are still special! We have had hard times, but we never had harsh times because we have faced them together. I am truly blessed. Together, we produced a beautiful daughter, who constantly amazes us in her wisdom and character. She has been a real gift from God.

Even though all these years have gone by, it seems but an instant, a flash of light. I look at the many yesterdays with great fondness, yet I still look forward to the tomorrows to come with expectant joy.

I'd like to close with a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson and dedicate it to my Adrienne, "What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." All of my love on our anniversary, to my lovely wife Adrienne, I adore her!

(This is my last entry this week as I am nursing a sore back. See you all Monday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment