Friday, August 20, 2010

"Proper and Legal are Not Always the Same Thing"

My wife was raised Jewish. Her heritage is in the Jewish tradition. We embraced Jesus as our Savior many years ago, and are active in the Christian church. That being said, I feel empathy for her in her heritage. I am a WWII "buff". I watch quite a bit about that era; I read quite a bit about Germany and Japan during that period of history. At times, I will watch programs about the "Holocaust". We must never forget what happens when those whose purpose is evil attain power. I am careful not to watch too much about the "Holocaust" when my wife is home; it is very painful for her, as she lost family members to the NAZI lunacy of racial "cleansing". I try to be sensitive to her feelings.

Most of you know where I'm going with this analogy; the mosque in New York. I don't know anybody who is questioning the legality of building this structure; I know many people who question the judgment of building this particular building at that particular location. I, along with many of you, remember 911 vividly. I was at home, as I was working nights; I was getting my coffee and my wife called me, telling me to turn on the news. At that time one plane had flown into the Tower. I watched, transfixed, thinking "what a terrible accident"; then, the unthinkable happened, the second plane hit the other Tower. Accident disappeared and attack became the fact. Murder of innocent Americans was the motive; the only question was who did this? We now know radical murderous Muslim fanatics perpetrated this atrocity; and they were proud of their work!

America did NOTHING to deserve this unprovoked attack. The area surrounding this mass murder has become "hallowed ground" to most Americans. The memory of 3000 innocent lives have paid for that land. The people of America don't want a mosque built in that immediate area. All polls show an overwhelming majority, 60 to 70 per cent, object to this structure at this location. The Imam who is proposing this mosque is Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf. He was born in Kuwait in 1948. He considers himself a moderate in his beliefs; yet, his words say something differently about him. Imam Rauf said, following the 911 attacks," I wouldn't say the United States deserved what happened. But the United States policies were an accessory to the crime that happened. Because we, (United States), have been accessory to a lot of innocent lives dying in the world. Osama bin Laden is made in the U.S.A. The Islamic method of waging war is not to kill innocent civilians, but it was CHRISTIANS in WWII who bombed civilians in Dresden and Hiroshima, neither of which were military targets." Are these the words of a MODERATE ? Would a moderate build a building in an area that would "twist the knife" in a still open wound?

President Obama has given tacit endorsement to the building of this mosque. He has played politics on this issue. He said what would be well received at a Ramadan dinner; he was playing the room to receive applause. He could have acted like a President instead of a politician; he chose not to. Legality is not the question Mr. President! Sensitivity to the American people is the issue. I wish, just once, I could see this President submit to the will of the people! Mr. Obama, could you please ACT LIKE THE PRESIDENT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment