Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"The National Pastime"

In 1956, I went to my first baseball game with my great uncle Salvatore. I was only nine years old, and I was very excited. We were one of the first families on our block to have a television, and I still remember WGN televising Cubs and White Sox games in glorious black and white. I remember my uncle dressed in long slacks with suspenders, a clean and pressed white shirt, and a straw hat, slightly cocked on his head. Back then, nobody had team hats, jerseys, t-shirts, or jackets. As a little kid, this was an adventure of epic proportions; CTA bus ride, huge crowds, and that smell that only is found at a ball park. When we entered the ball park I was amazed; nearly every man in the place was dressed like my uncle. Back then, my uncle's outfit was proper attire for a baseball game. People still booed the umpire and cheered the home team just as they do today. The fans were enthusiastic and fun to be around. Conversations surrounded us as people exchanged ideas and opinions about the progress of the game. From that day on I was a baseball fan, and I've loved the game all of the rest of my life.

I'm sure back then there were people who behaved badly during those baseball games. Drunks and morons will always exist in our society; spoilers of many good times. Back then, a couple of dollars could give you a great day at the ball park, including ticket, transportation, hot dog and soda; pretty good value. Today, a day at the ball park costs what a family vacation used to cost. People spend well into the hundreds of dollars for a day of fun at "the old ball game". Major League baseball is big business; it also has a certain responsibility to its fans. It is incumbent on the Commissioner of Baseball to have some standards of conduct for those who attend a baseball game. Bud Selig is baseball's commissioner; everything that happens of any consequence each day in baseball crosses his desk. He is the responsible guy.

Over the last two weeks we have had inter-league play on the schedule. As a Sox fan I can tell you this is huge. It is the only time of the year, outside of post season play, that the Sox see the Cubs on the field. Tickets for this game are at a premium; scalping is not unheard of. Fans are passionate and partisan; and they expect a great experience. I'm sure the Yankees vs. Mets series is just as important to New York fans; city rivalries go deep.

Last week, Lady GaGa went to the Yankees-Mets game. I'm sure there were numerous families there to root for their heroes and to enjoy the experience of Major League baseball. Lady GaGa added to the experience in a public display of bad taste, and bad behavior. She showed up in a Yankee jersey and not much else. She flashed obscene gestures at the press and some fans; she used obscene language and generally ruined the baseball game for many of those around her. This type of behavior may be okay at a back alley "cock fight"; it has no place at the National Pastime. GaGA is a marginal talent at best; I've seen her and I don't get it! She was using this baseball game as a place for self promotion; it was "hey look at me" time feeding her overblown ego. Now it is time for Bud Selig to step up and ban Lady GaGa from entrance to all future Major League Baseball events. He must send a message that baseball is still meant for family consumption. Commissioner, let's keep baseball the "National Pastime", not a celebrity "photo-op".

No comments:

Post a Comment