Thursday, June 17, 2010

" Being Dad!"

Sunday is Father's Day. All across America dads of every size, shape, and color will be treated like proverbial kings by their adoring wives and children. Countless steaks, pizzas and barbecued ribs will be ingested by dads everywhere in America. It's a good day to be a dad.

I've spoken of my Dad on several blogs in the past. As most of you already know, I hold him in the highest esteem. A day doesn't go by that I don't think of him and his impact on my life.

Today, I'd like to talk about Father's Day from a father's perspective. A man never knows what it is like to be a father until he is one. Before I was a father, I was an uncle. It's great fun being an uncle. You get to buy toys, candy and gifts of all kinds. You get to play and laugh with your niece or nephew to the point of exhaustion; when all that is over, you get to go home. When you visit them, you are greeted like a " Hero-Clown-Santa Claus "; somebody who they know is there for a good time. The uncle business is great! I carried pictures in my wallet, proud to show them off at any time, and proud to admit to being a godfather.

There are some big differences between the uncle business and the father business. As a father, every time you look at child, you are reminded of the fact that this little face depends on you for everything; food, clothes, medical care, and guidance to adulthood. You are the "measuring stick" for what a good man should be. From the date of that child's birth, your needs are now secondary; all considerations and priorities belong to that child for the rest of your life. It sounds overpowering when you stop to think about it; but God, in his wisdom, gives fathers a special gift, father's eyes, the ability to forget all personal hardship, to melt with love at the sight and sounds of your children. Feelings we cannot duplicate with anyone else are felt toward our children. Times spent with our children are superior to any time spent in any other pursuit. We swell with pride at every achievement; and suffer with every childhood injury. You get to see them at their best and at their worst. You sometimes have to be the "bad guy" in times of misbehavior; and you hate it.

I've had a lot of fun in my life, yet nothing has been better than being "Dad". My daughter has grown into a fine young woman. She calls me nearly every night; it is the high point of my day. Being Dad is truly God's blessing! Whenever I see a young father, at a restaurant or the mall I make it a point to say,"Remember every day, it will go by like lightening; being Dad is the best job you'll ever get!" To all of the Dads who read this, I wish you the best Father's Day; enjoy your kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment