Monday, June 14, 2010

" FLAG DAY!!!"

I was birthed by the hands of Betsy Ross. George Washington was my father. At first, nobody knew how long I would be around; after all, some pretty powerful people wanted me destroyed.

In the beginning, some farmers, tradesmen and storekeepers got together to defend my right to fly. They were a valiant bunch, those rag-tag volunteers, but they sure had the stuff alright.

First, I had thirteen stars in a circle; then, I grew as the years went by. I stood with Andy Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans. Boy, we really surprised some folks then! We didn't pick a fight with anybody, but we weren't afraid of a scrap. If somebody came looking for trouble they would find it messing with us.

We hit a bump in the road in the 1860s. Our folks had a tough time for a while, but we held together pretty well, and made life better for all of us. I ran up San Juan Hill with Teddy Roosevelt, he was quite a guy. I marched with the Dough boys in WWI, and spit in the Kaiser's eye. I landed on Omaha Beach, and I was raised on Mount Suribachi; one of my best pictures. I was carried up Pork Chop Hill in the packs of some really tough guys. I flew over Khe Sanh while some marines did their jobs. I've been to Iraq a couple of times, in Freedom and Desert Storm.

I've traveled quite a bit in my time. I've been to wars, parades, picnics, and funerals. Sometimes' I fly at half-mast, to honor those who paid the big price.

I'm the American Flag; there is no other like me. I stand for freedom and bravery. Some folks don't like me, and that's okay, but if you don't, then don't come asking for help when trouble finds you. I hope to fly a good many more years, with the help of God and good people.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who salute me and cover their hearts in allegiance; it's been my pleasure America!

1 comment:

  1. Great tribute to our American Flag. May it fly forever!!!!

    ReplyDelete