Thursday, May 6, 2010

" Pick And Choose!"

Every week my wife and I go to the grocery store for the needs we have generated over the previous week. Our town has three grocery stores, and we shop at each of them in order to get the best deal for our buck. My wife ad matches in order to save even more money; this is a wise practice, especially in the current financial crisis each of us face on a daily basis. We can save anywhere from 25 to 50 dollars on any given week.

We get to choose what we want and where we can go to get what we want. Choice is a great thing to have. Living in America gives us multitudinous choices. America also gives us some obligations. We are obligated to pay our taxes, follow the speed limit, respect others' property, and not commit violence on others. There are numerous laws and ordinances in each of our towns, states, cities, and villages across our nation. We have a constitution with laws that apply to all citizens in the United States.

I'm sure each of us has opinions about the laws of this nation, and we don't particularly like following every law with great vigor; yet the law is the law and must be observed. Our constitution gives us the power to LEGALLY change the law.

I started out talking about choice, and I believe in choice; but what if we decided to choose what laws we will follow and what laws we won't?

I don't like to pay taxes, so I'll take that off my list. I don't like going 65 on the interstate, so I'll take that off my list. I have laws I don't like but I must obey them; I'm not an autonomous state that can make my own rules. If I get pulled over by the police, I can't tell the officer I have chosen not to follow the speed laws as I feel they are unjust and oppressive. If this were possible, should drug dealers be able to sell drugs on the street corners as their customers want the drugs and feel the current drug laws are oppressive?

In certain situations we don't always have a choice. We are obligated to follow all the laws of our land, until the law is changed LEGALLY.

I'm not saying we don't have the right to peacefully protest against any law we feel is unjust. But until that law is rescinded, we cannot disregard it; it is the law!

Until the Arizona law is changed, it must be upheld. If it is constitutional, it will stand up in court; if it is not, it will fall. This is the American system of justice, and it will work if we give it a chance.

Choice is a good thing at the grocery store, not in the obedience of the law. If you don't like it, be verbal about it, but obey it. That is all Americans choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment