Friday, May 7, 2010

" All of Our Moms, Thanks!!"

Earlier this week, I commented on the United Nations appointment of Iran to the committee on women's rights. The more I thought about this, the more I thought what an inappropriate week to do this!

Does everyone know what Sunday is!? MOTHERS DAY!!; yes, the day we choose to honor the mothers of America for the wonderful influences they have been on our lives. How weird is it that the U.N. picked a nation that treats women like cattle to champion women's rights!? Especially this week, this decision seems insulting to all women of the world. Sorry Moms, the U.N. is clueless!!

Well, now that I've blown off some steam, I'd like to talk about Moms. Not just Moms, but all of the surrogate Moms we deal with in our lives: wives, sisters, cousins, teachers, and all of those wonderful women who gave us love, support, and sometimes criticism when we needed it. What a blessing all of these women are to all of us who have benefited from their care and guidance! My Mom taught me how to be compassionate toward other people, and to exercise patience when things weren't going my way. She was intelligent, perhaps the most intelligent person I've ever known. She gave me the gift of learning to love fine literature. Hemingway, Updike, Buck, Steinbeck, Tolstoy are the names of a few of the authors my Mom introduced me to. One of our first gifts as children were Child Craft Books, fairy tales, short stories, and poetry fit for children filled those pages; to this day I still remember some of those stories, thanks Mom!

My wife has been my rock, my partner in life through all its trials and tribulations, my confidant, my critic, my friend, and my great love. She is the mother of a fine daughter, of whom we are both very proud, and love greatly. She always puts herself second to the needs of others; I'm the most fortunate of all men!

My sisters and my cousins are unbelievable! They are the most fun, the most lovable, and some of the weirdest people on this planet! All family gatherings are delightful when we get together and remember our days as children. They are all funny and intelligent, they all hold a piece of my heart, and I thank God that they are part of my life!

Mothers' day comes once a year, yet each day we practice those lessons learned at our mothers' sides. This Sunday, remember your Moms and all the other wonderful women who you have been blessed with. You know they really deserve more than one day a year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment