Friday, April 8, 2011

"The Absurd Left!"

I enjoy going to the grocery store with my wife. We live in a university town, and it is a close community; we know many people. A trip to the grocery store is a social outing! Stores in America are truly amazing; we have shelf upon shelf of different choices to make on our weekly shopping trip. I'll wager there are fifty different types of bread alone to choose from; over twenty types of coffee, hundreds of bags of chips and pretzels and enough eggs to make breakfast for a battalion of hungry soldiers. We have the freedom to choose whatever we want to buy in our grocery store. We have the liberty to make those choices, be they healthy, or, unhealthy. I like cheeseburgers, yet, I don't eat a steady diet of cheeseburgers; that is my choice, nobody else gets to make that choice for me. I remember sitting on the ground, eating C-rations out of a can and dreaming about lasagna, pizza and hot dogs; I couldn't wait to get home to "chow down" on Mom's cooking! I like choice; I don't like others choosing for me. I wouldn't like to find out my steak dinner was replaced with a plate of lima beans, because someone else thought it would be better for me to eat lima beans (yuk). I just saw a couple of articles about how New York, that bastion of freedom, is once again trying to tell people what they are allowed to eat! The New York City Health Department has made an edict regarding fried foods from work sponsored meals. It said their employees should cut their bagels in half and if they have cake, they can't have cookies too! It also seems that this same department wants to ban "Happy Meals" and are threatening restaurants with fines up to $2500 if they continue to serve meals of that type. Once again, we see government infringing on our freedom of choice; they believe we are unable to make a good decision without government regulation, or threats. It seems that New York politicians are trying to protect our lives by regulating our diets. Liberal New York seems to be the "protector" of those who are unable to protect themselves! GOOD FOR THEM, THEY ARE PROTECTING THE INNOCENT! Hold on here, just a minute, I need something cleared up. Does this mean they will also protect the lives of unborn children? Obviously, if french fries are a threat to human life, then abortion of helpless children is surely a threat to human life. If anyone is unable to protect themselves from a bad practice, the unborn are an obvious constituency. Personally, I would much rather see my elected officials pursuing an issue that actually pertained to saving a life, rather than interfering in what I will eat for supper! If this wasn't so tragic, it would be humorous; people are allowed to choose to terminate a baby's life, yet, they should not be allowed to eat fried foods! I guess a baby's life isn't as valuable as an "order of fries" in the eyes of the left. This is a typical example of the absurdity of government regulation. Remember, it's okay to "KILL THE BABY, BUT NO FRIES WITH THAT!"

No comments:

Post a Comment