Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"Lipstick On a PIG!!?"

Years ago I used to golf. I was never an accomplished golfer. My Dad was a good golfer, and my Uncle Sammy was a scratch golfer. Watching my uncle was a pleasure, he was like an artist with a golf club in his hands. I had a tremendous slice; my drive would go straight for about fifty yards and then turn right for another one hundred yards, as if it hit an invisible wall. Part of my problem is that I was a dedicated baseball player and the baseball swing doesn't lend itself to golf very well. The other part of my problem is that I couldn't take instruction in golf very well. My Dad and Uncle Sammy did their level best to help me correct my incredible slice. Unfortunately, all their efforts were for naught. The final statement from my favorite uncle was "Jay, you are a very good baseball player; I think you should stick to that, you'll save a fortune in golf balls." My Uncle Sam was a very funny man! No matter what I tried, I would always fall back into baseball; at heart, I would always be a baseball player, not a golfer."A leopard can't change his spots" as the old saying goes, and this is pretty much true. Some things become so ingrained in us that they become impossible to alter.

With the November elections approaching, we are seeing a parade of "leopards" trying to change their spots. Over the last twenty months this Congress has been on a course of tax and spend that is beyond any of their predecessors. The partisan vote that pushed through Obamacare followed their party leaders like automatons; even though a vast majority of their constituents (60%) were against the plan. Now the reality of the elections are becoming quite visible to those whose seats are in the arena of choice. Many of them are trying to distance themselves from Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid; as if the last twenty months are a surprise to them. President Obama continues to pursue more spending with an additional 50 billion dollar stimulus package, government infrastructure projects; you know "Pork Projects" meant to get votes! Out of the other side of his face, he is speaking of "fiscal responsibility" and "tax cuts". He continues to point at the Republicans as the party of "NO". Perhaps he is right: "no more foolish spending, no more hidden tax, no Obamacare and no more ignoring border security". It seems that ignoring the peoples' will is coming home to roost and now Mr. Obama is trying to explain all of the last twenty months of mistakes away by, once again, blaming George W. Bush and the Republican Party. His Congress is in real trouble, behind by "double digits" in all the polls and with no sign of changing in the future. He and his people are trying to change their "spots" quickly, but the American people don't seem to be buying the transformation.

As it was said during the last Presidential Election "You can put lipstick on a pig, but, IT IS STILL A PIG!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment