Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Know the Rules, Before You Speak"

I like sports; I like to watch sports; I like to listen to sports talk radio and sports commentary on television. I watch all the post-game shows; I watch all the pre-game shows. It could be said I have a mild addiction to sports. Because I like sports so much, I've made it my business to try to understand the play and rules of each sport I follow. It is important to know the difference between home runs, touchdowns, knock-outs and baskets. It is important to know the difference between umpires, referees, line judges and back-field judges. All of that knowledge helps you understand what is going on in the contest you are enjoying. It is exasperating to engage in conversation with someone who thinks they know what they are talking about when in actuality they have, at best, a passing knowledge of the subject.

We have had an on-going discussion in America concerning the Quran and Sharia Law. I'll admit, as a Christian I knew very little about the Quran and Sharia Law. As someone who wants to "practice what I preach", I thought it would be a good idea to do some research on these two subjects.

Obviously, Jihad is of foremost interest to most Americans; in Arabic it means "struggle or effort". In the Quran it means to "strive in the path of God (22:78)", to walk in the path of God; an effort to purify oneself. This sounds pretty honorable; as a Christian, I can understand this type of dedication to one's God. The Quran also says "Fight in the way of God against those who fight you, but do not attack them first, God does not love the aggressors" (2:190). I found this passage to be quite interesting, as I remember 911 vividly.

Quran verse 8:39-40 says "Make war on them until idolatry (any other belief) shall cease and God's religion (Islam) shall reign supreme. If they desist (don't accept Islam), God is cognizant of all their actions, but if they give no heed, know God will protect you." This verse makes it tough to believe this is a belief that preaches tolerance of others. Verse 9:29 says "..Fight those who do not believe in God (Allah).." .As a Christian, my God says to preach His word and love my enemies; a little different from the Quran. I find the Quran seems to be working at cross purposes in its message. The Quran at times, sounds loving and accepting, and at other times it seems violent and aggressive. I urge all of you who read this to explore the Quran for yourselves and come to your own conclusions.

I found some very disturbing things about Sharia Law. I find Sharia Law barbaric, violent and unacceptable for any enlightened society. Our system of punishment doesn't allow for stoning, amputation or death for apostasy. Men are allowed several wives (that's crazy), and believe in the inferiority of all women. Men can divorce their wives by saying "I divorce you" three times; wow that's due process! This is just a tiny sample of Sharia Law; it is pretty scary.

As a citizen of a nation that believes in reasonable treatment under the law, and tolerance of the beliefs of others, I'll admit I'm concerned with this belief system. It certainly seems to be diametrically opposed to the American system of justice. Knowledge is power; arm yourself with its power. Know what you're talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment