Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"Turn On the Lights!"

Before I retired, I used to set up medical equipment in private homes. Oxygen, c-pap, bi-pap, hospital beds and other types of medical equipment were my daily tasks. We all think we know about poor health until we see sick people first hand, every day. I saw people in their late 90s and children as young as 6 years old with medical troubles that would send the average person running for the hills. I entered homes that I wouldn't tie my dog up in! Most of us try to keep a clean house and most of our family and friends are the same. Some people live in filth; and they don't mind! Every time I entered a home, I had a set routine of cleaning my hands and wiping down equipment, in an attempt to maintain some semblance of cleanliness. When I left those houses, I would get into my van and once again clean my hands before entering the next patient's home.

I had a patient in a small town who lived in a house trailer. He was a veteran and he was bedridden. He had his teenage grandson living with him. When I entered the trailer it was black as pitch. When the teen turned on the light, I saw thousands of roaches run in every direction, fleeing the light. When I entered the house, only the light of a television illuminated the house. Only when total light was brought into the room did I see the severity of the roach problem. When kept in the dark problems are hard to see. We need to shine light on our problems.

S.B.1070, the Arizona immigration law, has turned the "light" to our infestation of illegal aliens in America. Since its inception in April 2010, illegal aliens have been moving away from Arizona. In one school district, 70 students were pulled out of classes by their illegal parents in anticipation of the implementing of the illegal immigration initiative. Some advocates of the new law have said "Enforce the law and most illegals will deport themselves", and this seems to be true at this point. Some are leaving to return south of the border, while others are heading for the "sanctuary cities" around the nation, who are willfully disobeying the law.

As the date of enforcement approaches, many illegals are holding yard and garage sales to get cash to move out of Arizona's Phoenix area. Wendi Villasenor said "Everyone is selling up the little things they have and leaving, we have no alternative. They have us cornered."

These illegals have a sympathetic argument, displaced and faced with possible criminal arrest. I'm sorry for them, yet I'm sorrier for those Americans who suffer daily because of this influx of illegal entrants to America. It is not only the criminal elements of gang members and drug dealers; it is also those illegals who work for below average wages, who keep legitimate citizens from attaining gainful employment in our ailing economy. I don't want illegals to receive government benefits, or tuition breaks; those should be reserved for legal citizens and legal resident aliens (you know, taxpayers).

The scattering has begun, the lights are on, no corner of the house is safe, they will crawl under every chair and behind every wall. It's time for us to call the "Orkin Man", and support Arizona's initiative and follow suit across the nation; otherwise, your house will have the next infestation!

No comments:

Post a Comment