Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"Required Reading"

I remember when I attended high school we had something called "required reading".As a young teen who was more interested in sports ,girls , and fun this policy didn't sit to well with my social schedule.Fortunately for me I had a mom who was a reader ,and she would read to me as a small child , she had the benefit of growing up without television. I told her about my aversion to the reading policy and she said I would be cheating myself of a great experience if I didn't embrace the reading of great books , she urged I give it a chance. Thanks to Mom I gave in and read my first serious novel "The Call Of The Wild" by Jack London ,now I was hooked I couldn't get enough ,this was better than the movies.I learned to enjoy the printed page.My favorite book is "The Grapes of Wrath" by Steinbeck ,when I got to the last page I was a little sad because I wanted it to go on. The longest book I've ever read was "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Schirrer,it was fascinating and it was also 1265 pages long so it took me a while to get through it , but it was well worth the effort. No one was paying me to read these books , I did it for the enjoyment of the journey. Right now in Washington we have 535 congressional representatives and 100 senators who are engaged in the pursuit of changing the health-care system in this country.They have been through several months of committee meetings and there several proposed bills waiting for consideration , the principal bill that is being reviewed now is approximately 1500 pages ,and I'm sure the reading is pretty dry , yet when I hear that members of our Congress refuse to read the bill in it's entirety I become a little upset. This piece of legislation will affect the lives of 300 million Americans and medical treatment is a very basic need not to be taken lightly. When a senator or representative cannot seem to find the time to do what he has been elected to do we must consider his dedication to his constituents . We as Americans have a right to know what is contained in a bill of such magnitude . Perhaps our elected representatives need to be reminded of their duties . A cashier at Wal-Mart has required duties and procedures that must be followed and so do those who have accepted the responsibility of speaking for the people of the United States of America . I believe any legislation brought before the Congress of the United States is required reading , so I think it's time to do your duty READ THE BILL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment