Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Don't Kill the Messenger!"

Did you ever get caught doing something you weren't supposed to be doing by a sibling during your youth ? My sister had a unique way of saying "Your in trouble ! " and you knew that she was going to snitch to Mom , or worse Dad . We had great parents , but we had rules at home and we were expected to follow them . During those occasions where I was the perpetrator of the rule breaking , and the victim of the snitching , I vowed to get even with my sister at whatever cost . She was put on my enemies list , any way I could get back at her I would try. I remember becoming my sisters nemesis informing my parents on every infraction she perpetrated , real or imagined . " Mom Gayle is making faces at me !" , " Mom Gayle made a mess in the kitchen !" , "Mom Gayle is calling me names!" , my barrage of complaints about my sister were endless . As adults we look back on those days with much humor , but back in the day we were oil and water . I'm sure most of you remember John Gotti , the Mafia don who died in prison a few years ago , he was convicted of murder , mostly because of the testimony of another mob member Sammy "The Bull" Gravanno . In mob life the worst thing you can do is be an informer . If a person or organization is doing something wrong they usually don't take kindly to having their mis-deeds made public . Anita Dunn a spokesperson for the Obama administration has declared Fox News an enemy , and said Fox News will be treated as an opponent of the administration . A statement declaring any voice that makes any person , or news agency , for all intents and purposes , an enemy of the state is frightening . If we are to live in a free society then all opinions must be allowed , and any revelation of truth must be made available to all members of society no matter how many toes get stepped on . Fox , it seems , has made the Obama administration uncomfortable in its' pursuit of truth and now they have become a perceived threat to their well being . Whatever became of the phrase "The loyal opposition." The job of the press is to hold up a mirror to society and show everything both good and bad that is going on. When an administration singles out a news agency out as an enemy we must be very concerned . Our founding fathers were dissenters and believed profoundly in the right to speak out. As Americans we must be vocal in this matter , this is not an "imperial presidency" the administration must be open to all , not just the chosen few. Mr Obama needs to open the doors to all members of the press , perhaps it will make him a better president when he is willing to listen to other points of view. Maybe he will find a "change he can believe in" by opening up his mind. America expects a free press don't tread on our 1st. amendment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment