Wednesday, May 8, 2013

"Thanks Mom"


I WANT MY MOMMY!!!!  Have any of you ever uttered these words while growing up? Whenever one became afraid or suffered a minor injury during childhood, the call for mother was always the first thing that came from one’s mouth. Moms all over America are looked to by their children as the comforter and healer whenever things get bad.

A pat on the head or a tight hug can be more healing than a shot of penicillin, and no one can do that better than a Mom does.

As an older brother, it was my duty to tease my younger brothers until they cried for Mom, who in turn, sent my Dad to remedy the situation. Dad was Mom’s “security force” in most situations that required somebody scary to get the point across to teasers; it always worked!

Mom was the cook, nurse and shoulder to cry on. Dad was the fun guy who still ruled with an “iron hand” and didn’t allow any disrespect, but still managed to make us all laugh at the dinner table every night.

Mom was the smartest person I ever knew, and that included all of my teachers, coaches and professors. She was a reader and artist who taught me the value of the written word; for this I am forever thankful. She was always the voice of reason when I was a confused young boy, and a role model for choosing a wife to a young man.

My mom would spend hours doing crossword puzzles, a habit she passed on to me, but I’m not nearly as good at them as she was.

My mom gave me a love for art, and she was an accomplished painter and sketch artist; I have one of her paintings in my living room.

Once a year we pay tribute to all the mothers in America, lauding their contribution to our lives. The rest of the year Moms do laundry, drive kids to school, prepare countless breakfasts, lunches and dinners, help with homework and patch up various injuries and illnesses. Every holiday Moms cook gigantic meals of turkey, ham, roasts and other special treats to throngs of hungry relatives, while maintaining a smile and happy attitude the entire time.

Three hundred sixty four days a year, Moms do their jobs with little complaint and tons of dedication. All the Moms ever want is to see that their families are happy and well taken care of. We all owe our Moms a great debt and one day a year hardly seems like enough time to say thank you, and I love you.

To all of the Moms, Aunts, Sisters and Cousins out there I wish to extend the very best wishes for the upcoming “Mother’s Day”. We owe all of you so much, one day of breakfast in bed or brunch at a local restaurant just doesn’t seem like enough. Please try to remember that all of us think about you every day, with love and great thanks; have a great day Moms!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment