Thursday, January 19, 2012

"Number 4?"

A couple of days ago it was Muhammad Ali’s birthday; he turned 70 years old and I congratulate him for that. He is famous for being the only heavyweight champion to regain the title three times, and I congratulate him for that. He is also famous for saying “I’m the greatest of all time”, and for that, I must say Rocky Marciano retired an undefeated champion, so maybe Mr. Ali isn’t the “greatest of all time”, but he was pretty darn good!


I used to subscribe to “Ring Magazine”, and periodically they would come out with lists of fighters and how they ranked against the champions of the past. I always found those lists fascinating, being a boxing enthusiast, with a little more than a passing knowledge of the sport.


Of all the fighters I’ve seen over the course of my life, both on film and in live action, I would have to say the best I’ve ever seen was “Sugar Ray Robinson”. He was quick as a cat and had knock out power in both hands, a real treat to watch in the ring. Most boxing experts will concur with my opinion, and it is well documented.


Recently, our President, Barack Obama, made a statement that he is ,”One of the four best Presidents America has ever had”; a little egotistical, don’t you think? Well, I did a little research to see who were in the “Top 10” by some historical and political experts; you can easily do the same for yourself.


Number 10 was John F. Kennedy, the President that pulled America through the Cuban Missile Crisis, and that only got him to number 10!


Number 7 was Thomas Jefferson; you know, the guy who helped write the Constitution: I remember him from my American History class, don’t you? Hmmm….number 7!


Ronald Reagan wasn’t even on the top 10 list, even though he toppled the Soviet Union and rescued the nation from the disastrous reign of Jimmy Carter; NOT EVEN ON THE LIST!


The “Top 3” Chief Executives were FDR, Woodrow Wilson and Abraham Lincoln; would you put Barack Obama next? I’m afraid Jefferson, Kennedy and Reagan might nudge him out just a little; Hmmm…!


Strangely, I don’t recall any writings by Kennedy, Jefferson or Reagan touting how great they were. Mostly, what I remember, is their humility as they led America through some trying times, depending on the Almighty for guidance and direction. If I was in the position that our present Chief Executive was in currently, I don’t believe I would be “blowing my own horn” right now. American economics are still at an all time low, our national debt is somewhere in the stratosphere and our national esteem is at an abysmal depth. I don’t think this will match up to that claim of being the “Fourth Best American President”; do you? Now if you want to compare Mr. Obama to Calvin Coolidge, U.S. Grant, Andrew Johnson or Jimmy Carter, I think you might have a case; otherwise, I don’t see him on any “Top 10 Lists”!!

No comments:

Post a Comment