Wednesday, December 9, 2009

"My Adrienne"

On Monday I talked about December 7th. and it's significance to the people of America, and the world. Today I would like to speak about a date which is important to me. On December 9th. 1977 I married the most amazing woman in the world. Does she have super-powers; only when dealing with me. Sometimes you know things even before you say them out loud. When I first met my Adrienne I knew there was something special about her, she radiated kindness toward everyone; not that phony stuff most of us run into but real genuine concern for other people. She was family oriented, very important to an Italian guy. She was attractive without being gaudy, well dressed and tasteful, not overly made up because she was certainly pretty enough on her own. I was basically a street guy who spent most of my time in card games and at the track, when I wasn't at the local tavern with my buddies. In some ways we were very different, yet we were drawn together, this is how I know God was hanging around. I wasn't in the market for a regular "girl friend" at the time we met, but I gave up tickets to a Pink Floyd concert to go with her to a friends house and play "penny poker". Now you must understand that when I played poker it was usually for alot more then pennies, and I was not known for any game that included "wild cards". I was a serious gambler, so this was a major deal for me.I didn't say so that night but I knew that I would have Adrienne for my wife. After that night I spent nearly every available minute with her, and when I wasn't with her I was thinking of her. When she met my Mom and Dad they fell in love with her, and my Dad said he knew what was coming next. On December 9th. the weather was horrible with 7 foot snow drifts and temps in the single digits, but we didn't want to wait and drove to the Niles courthouse and tied the knot in front of Judge George A. Geocaros , who commented that we must really love each other to come out in this awful weather to get married. We have certainly covered quite a bit of ground since that cold December morning, yet I have never tired of looking at her from across a room or hearing her voice in our darkened bedroom. Many things in life can make a difference, Adrienne has made me a better man just because I never want to disappoint her. We have produced a beautiful and intelligent daughter who has been the light of our lives. We both serve in our church and we both thank God for the life He's given us. As you read this I hope each of you can experience the happiness I have found with my wonderful and beautiful wife. Sometimes life can be so hectic that we forget to tell those who are so important to us how we feel about them. Take some time to tell your spouse who they are to you, I promise you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment